Clutch lever wont move after PCW install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
Hey all.

I installed the PCW HD spring kit today with a friend. Followed the instructions to a tee, reassembled it and now my clutch lever wont pull in at all. disassembled everything, checked it against my Clymer manual and still nothing.

Even with the pressure plate and spring removed the lever won't pull in.

If I open the bleeder the lever will pull in, so its not the M/C.

Anything that I might have overlooked?

Clutch worked as it should prior to install.

Thanks for the help guys!

did you pull the basket out or just pull the clutches and added full disk , left out the three items then new spring?

try pulling the clutch with the cover(clutch)off so you can see whats happening in the basket. everything should move fine, not sure whats binding up on you.

Just replaced the half disk, didn't loosen or remove the basket. Even with the pressure plate and Clutch spring off the lever won't budge.

is the ball stuck in there or can you pull it backout? maybe something stuck in there by accident

What ball are you referring to?

Something else, pushrod number 2 (per Clymer), (the round thing in the middle of the clutch in the picture) and has a small ball bearing behind it, is sticking out a little (more than what is pictured below) and won't push back in?

Image32x800.jpg

If the ball bearing is there then that parts at least ok. The lever should move it without anything assembled more then is pictured.

Sean

not sure when you took this pic and i could be totally wrong here but when you do the mod you are doing with the full clutch plate vs the half one, i do believe you leave out the wire, damper spring and seat. just install the new friction disk, clutch plate. Thats what you do on a DD and the pcw mod, from what i have seen on others on the forum.

you should be able to pull the push rod out and steel ball. it should also push back in the push rod, maybe crack your bleeder again and push it back. but should be able to by hand atleast i did on mine.

I had to remove the clutch slave, install the clutch plates and the pressure plate, then reinstall the clutch slave to get mine to work. I later replaced the clutch slave.

not sure when you took this pic and i could be totally wrong here but when you do the mod you are doing with the full clutch plate vs the half one, i do believe you leave out the wire, damper spring and seat. just install the new friction disk, clutch plate. Thats what you do on a DD and the pcw mod, from what i have seen on others on the forum.

you should be able to pull the push rod out and steel ball. it should also push back in the push rod, maybe crack your bleeder again and push it back. but should be able to by hand atleast i did on mine.

The picture is from Lvlhead's V-Max site, not mine. My pushrod is sticking out quite a bit and will not go in to where it would be flush against the nut. I cracked the bleeder and it still would not bulge. I noticed that this pushrod moves out a little when putting pressure on the lever though. Could the internal pushrod somehow be out of place?

Yeah, after e-mailing Maleko89 back and forth I think that the slave cylinder piston may be out to far and locked up. I'm going to remove the slave cylinder this week and see if the piston is out and if I can get it to work. I'll post on my findings.

Well Im at a loss now. I removed the middle gear cover and removed the slave cylinder from its mount (I didn't see a way to 'remove' it entirely w/o removing the alt cover). The piston was seated and seemed to move freely back and forth. I pushed the main pushrod and smaller pushrod back and forth to make sure they both moved freely. Everything seemed ok. I reassembled everything and as I was bleeding the system it happened again, the clutch lever got solid. It seems as though the slave is pushing the main pushrod through, but its not contracting at all.

Do I need to replace the slave cylinder or is there something else I can do to check before that?

Thanks for the help!

Are you sure the pressure plate in in right? Check and make sure the teeth match up to allow the pressure plate to slide in so it touches the clutch disk. I did not get it right the first time.

I would almost put it back to stock, and then determine from there where your problem exists.... but if your slave is moving, you really already determined it is in the pressure plate/spring area. Maybe put a small c-clamp on the slave and make sure that the master is applying plenty of pressure.
Keep us posted,

Jeff

I must be installing the pressure plate wrong. I've noticed when everything is put together the pressure plate is not fitting snuggly against the clutch boss. There is one 'hole' in the clutch boss and a 'nipple' sticking out of the pressure plate. This is what I am lining up and do not see any other markings on either. The Clymer manual is not much help. I have a 2003.

There is a dimple at approx 2:00 on the picture you posted. This lines up with the dimple on the pressure plate.

I must have been installing the pressure plate wrong. Came home today and got it to work on my first reassembly. :bang head::confused2:

Thanks for the help guys.

Back