clutch master slave kit how to?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yammaddogg

Reaction score
hi i am about to rebuild both clutch master and slave is there a how to out there on these i dont have the book yet sorry if its already in threads:ummm:

thanks u guys rock i bought an 85 vmax that needed aaaalot of tlc i have a veeery small budget so i realy apreciate all the help its pretty awesome being able to ride such an iconic bad ass ride and be able to keep it running

YAMAHA VS HARLEY = YAMAHA TWICE THE RIDE AT HALF THE PRICE

If we have or can find the answers, we're happy to help a VMax Brother..

My clutch is leaking up around the lever so I took it off drained the res and the pin that's spring loaded came out (with the spring) so I cleaned it up and reinstalled it but now looking at the pics here I see there's a rubber boot over the pin and mine don't have one. Is that why mine leaks? And where could it have gone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ed

I wouldn't think it should leak back that far if everything else is installed correctly and in good shape. No idea where the boot could have gone. When I did mine, I ran a copy of the picture to use while putting it back together... That boot is likely more to keep water out than fluid in...

I wouldn't think it should leak back that far if everything else is installed correctly and in good shape. No idea where the boot could have gone. When I did mine, I ran a copy of the picture to use while putting it back together... That boot is likely more to keep water out than fluid in...

Thanks, I guess I'll just buy a rebuild kit and see what happens after I rebuild it.

Both rebuilds are not too hard and that's coming from a very novice mechanic. It does help to have a book, though. The hardest part is getting the seals over the pistons. Just pay attention to the order and position of the parts when you disassemble them. Also, be sure to have internal snap ring pliers for the MC.

Both rebuilds are not too hard and that's coming from a very novice mechanic. It does help to have a book, though. The hardest part is getting the seals over the pistons. Just pay attention to the order and position of the parts when you disassemble them. Also, be sure to have internal snap ring pliers for the MC.

+1, i'm a novice mechanic myself. rebuilding the clutch master and slave was my first project. it's really straightforward. i suggest that you get yourself a shop manual--might as well, cause once you realize that the stealership is raping you hand over fist for something as simple as this, you'll start realizing that you can DIY a lot of the maintenance. however, it does help to be active in this forum, the shop manuals alone aren't enough, and as i've found out the manuals can be erroneous or misleading, sometimes directing more work than necessary.

"cause once you realize that the stealership is raping you hand over fist for something as simple as this"

Word. I didn't really want to mess with it and called the stealership:
$99 for mc, $99 for slave, $99 to connect my new ss line.
(plus parts, but I already had them from Sean)
This last one really really chapped my hide. You got both cylinders off and you have the gall to charge a Benjamin to bolt on a new line! F.U.!:damn angry:

ps if you have the $ you should get a ss line while you're at it.
The line and both rebuild kits were $110 from Sean.

Also make sure you have a new crankcase cover gasket(3JP-15461-01-00) since you have to take off the crankcase cover to get at the slave cylinder. Also the bottom bolt is an oil drain, be prepared for a fair amount of oil to come out of it.

If you get the rebuild kit from Sean it will include a gasket, not so in the kits from ebay.

Latest posts

Back