clutch problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CREEPINGBUDDA

Reaction score
Ok, so a little background on the bike. It's an 85, the PO let the bike sit up for at least 3 years. Since having it I pulled the tank, cleaned and coated it. I've cleaned the carbs. Replaced the master cylinders with ones from a zx11 and I've rebuilt the slave cylinder. While I had the slave off I pulled the rod, cleaned it and changed that seal also. I've bled the line and have good pressure. The problem is that when I pull the clutch lever it doesn't engage. I can put the bike in 3rd, tie off the lever and spin the wheel but it wont just spin freely. If I try to put it in gear with it running it dies. Has anyone had anything like this before?

Have you put the ball bearing back in between the pushrod and clutch?

Is the ZX11 m/c piston the same size as the Max? If it may not be displacing enough fluid to sufficiently move the slave.

Could part of your problem be electrical? It could be a side stand switch or clutch switch malfunction killing the bike as well. If it's only a clutch engagement problem, the bike should be trying to lurch out from under you w/o dying when you drop it into gear.

I have not been in the clutch yet. I'll probably open it tonight when I get off work. The bike will lurch forward if I put it in gear while running. Im checking the bore sizes between the 2. The original m/c's were shot and I had a spare set for my 11 in the shed.

Latest posts

Back