clutch problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamwallace760

Reaction score
it seems my new vmax has a clutch problem,dont shift 25 miles on this baby any have a problem like this

Buddy, more info is needed before anyone can weigh-in!

Where are you? Add that below your screen name.

What year?

What are the first three characters on the engine case #'s?

Did you test-ride it before you handed-over your simoleons?

well no i didnt it was to cold.ohio.2020
Click on your screen name and add your location, someone local to you may be of assistance.

You bought it without knowing it rode OK? Hmmm.

What was the seller's input? "Gimme your money, it's all-ok!"

There are so-many issues it could-have. The star segment may be disintegrated in the shift mechanism. If you can locate all the bits and pieces of the worn-out mechanism, the 'new & improved' replacement will fix it right-up. However, if you cannot-locate all the old pieces, bad things can happen to your engine.

Your shifter return spring could have lost its temper. It's cheap. #12, torsion spring VMax parts book p.31.

VMax shifter pedal assy.png

Shift forks, shift drum, etc. Go to the VMOA part of the website, and download as .pdf's, the parts and service manuals.

VMax shift drum.png

"C'mere, kid, the first one's free!" Hahahahahaha!!!
VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

VMAX Manuals Online : VMOA Information : VMOA.net

Last edited:
When you say 'new' is that new to you or 'new' just out of the dealer?

Is it a Gen I or II.

When you say it won't shift do you mean it won't select any gears i.e. the change lever is solid or it is difficult to shift from one gear to another?

As Mr Medic says, some more detail about the bike and symptoms would be helpful.

I checked his posts, apparently he has a 2020! I missed that in his post #3. My diagrams are for a Gen 1.
(33) vmax gen ll | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

From March 1, 2021:
anybody got windscreen, sliders or backrest for sale vmax 1700 2020

Doesn't Yamaha have a transferable warranty? At-least he's not facing the issues of the Gen II owner whose crankshaft is playing 'peek-a-boo' through the engine cases. That's a warranty fight I wouldn't want to face.

Many moons-ago, one of the local guys who had moved to CA, (I was in MI then) bought a brand-new Honda 350 Scrambler CL350. He hopped-on and took-off for MI to visit his buddies. He made it to about KS (about 1400 miles) and the engine had a catastrophic failure. The closest Honda dealer ordered him a warranty engine, and installed it. He made the rest of the trip OK. He flew back to CA, and he left the bike in MI. Two different friends of mine, crashed that bike, as it was passed-around, and ridden-hard. I never took it for a ride, as I didn't have the $ to pay to fix it if I wrecked it. He eventually had it shipped back to CA. Now he rides a Sportster. The bike was faster on acceleration than my friend's three year-old SS 396 Chevelle. The SS 396 was faster on top-end, of course. It had a Muncie M-21 4-speed and positraction, electric blue, chrome reverse mags, and Firestone 'Wide-Oval' redline tires. As-soon as he bought it, he took it to the tire shop for the new wheels and Wide-Ovals. On the way back to his home, he was waiting at a light, and watching a rapidly-approaching car behind him. When he realized the car was apparently going to be unable to stop, he coolly put it in first, and pulled off the road, onto the shoulder. The car behind him slammed hard into the car which was in-front of my friend, his car was untouched. He later traded the SS 396 in on a 1970-1/2 Z28 in metallic brown, with two wide white stripes, one of the most-beautiful cars I've ever-seen. It had the tiny split front bumpers. When that F-body was released, it looked more like something $$$ from Italy than a Detroit iron. I preferred the Gen. 1 Camaro to the Gen. 1 Firebird. Later, I preferred the Firebird Gen. 2 to the Camaro Gen. 2. I had two Trans-Ams and a Z28 in the Gen. 2 bodystyle. After that, I bought a Fox-body Mustang GT, manual transmission, and that was much more-fun to drive than the F-bodies.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does anyone else find there is a total lack of useful information about the problem?

If you can change gear using the clutch then surely the clutch and gearbox are working?

Put the bike on the centre stand and start the engine.
1. Is it running in neutral? (surely yes)
2. Pull the clutch in, engine still running?
3. Select 1st, same question as above
4 release the clutch, same...

Does gen 2 have side stand cut out, are we sure that is not at fault?

Latest posts

Back