Coil Corrosion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
Was checking my plug wires and coils and found one of the coil-wire connectors is corroded. Can I clean the corrosion, snip the wire and be good, or do I need a new coil?

Also I'm finding missing hardware as I get into the bike and will need seat fasteners and coil screws. Whats my best option for replacements?

Was checking my plug wires and coils and found one of the coil-wire connectors is corroded. Can I clean the corrosion, snip the wire and be good, or do I need a new coil?

Also I'm finding missing hardware as I get into the bike and will need seat fasteners and coil screws. Whats my best option for replacements?

Is this the high tension side or the 12 volt side?

If high tension side I would just snip the wire back clean the coil and use some dielectric grease on it. :thumbs up:

As for the bolts, I would go to a hardware store and get some stainless ones.

It's the high tension side, I'm cleaning it now with some 400grit, I'll grab some grease snip and go.

Yep, just disconnect the plug wire and clean inside the coil with electrical contact cleaner. Then, snip 1/4 inch from end of wire and re-fasten. Use a multimeter and put lead up in boot to make sure continuity. You should get 18 - 24 KOhms. It may be beneficial to snip the plug cap end of the wire too.

Mark

Ya, I just picked the bike up a couple of weeks ago and was unsure of what the source of my problems were, rough idle when hot , spitting through one carb all the time and also power issues. I'll go through all the wires and coils just to be sure.

I've already done a can of seafoam through 3 tanks. Just need to get the rear pads replaced and the coil cleaned and see if it clears any of the above mentioned problems.

It will be interesting to see if I have been running 1 cylinder short the whole time. Coming from an XV920RH 10 years ago this is a big jump in HP. :)

Ya, I just picked the bike up a couple of weeks ago and was unsure of what the source of my problems were, rough idle when hot , spitting through one carb all the time and also power issues. I'll go through all the wires and coils just to be sure.

I've already done a can of seafoam through 3 tanks. Just need to get the rear pads replaced and the coil cleaned and see if it clears any of the above mentioned problems.

It will be interesting to see if I have been running 1 cylinder short the whole time. Coming from an XV920RH 10 years ago this is a big jump in HP. :)

What year is it? Maybe new HT wires are in order...:confused2:

Plugs look good? :ummm:

86 with 17K. I'm trying to keep the costs down for now as it was a bear getting the wifey to agree to the initial cost.

I'll pull the plugs later today and give a holler back.

The plug for this cylinder is black and wet with fuel. This accounts for the smell of fuel that I believed was due to a rich condition.

The plug for this cylinder is black and wet with fuel. This accounts for the smell of fuel that I believed was due to a rich condition.

Hopefully cleaning it will help you then. You may also want to check for cracked coils if that doesn't solve the problem...

My plug ia an NGK DP8EA 9, not the DPR8EA 9, my cap is a td t-139. I can't find any info on the cap. How do I determine if the cap is resistor or non resistor?

My guess is to take a resistance reading? If you get a resistance of 10 KOhms or so for the cap, it's a resistor cap...which is what you want.

I use NGK boots and regular copper core wire from any automotive store.

Mark

All my caps are reading 8-10kohms. The front coils are under the airbox right?

They're right below the ignition unit...just to the front and below of air box.

Mark

Latest posts

Back