Coil problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on a recent problem. Yesterday I had cylinder 1 issues. I hear some misfire and can feel lack of performance and when I feel the side of cylinders #1 feels cooler then the rest. Going to check my primary and secondary coil numbers to see if coils good, and if it is any ideas on what could cause it? I already changed plugs to just fail safe that. Plus they're cheap so why not. Any info would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for some insight on a recent problem. Yesterday I had cylinder 1 issues. I hear some misfire and can feel lack of performance and when I feel the side of cylinders #1 feels cooler then the rest. Going to check my primary and secondary coil numbers to see if coils good, and if it is any ideas on what could cause it? I already changed plugs to just fail safe that. Plus they're cheap so why not. Any info would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Start it in the dark and see if you can see any spark or light coming from the top of the coil as they commonly crack there.
You can also try taking the the plug out and looking for a healthy spark.
I have 4 stock coils i left on mine and i have cops that cost me lest than $25 to build myself from Ebay.
Let me know if you need a stock coil as i have 2 extra.
Also remember on the front coils they are reversed.

If it's missing out primarily AFTER the bike warms up, and the cooling fan kicks in, then test your idle voltage to see if maybe you are experiencing a CDI box failure. Same symptoms as I had way back when, with arcing where it shouldn't. And don't worry too much about cracked looking coils, as the resin outer coating is common to show age cracking and usually does not interfere with their proper performance.

Mine would usually arc across to the valve covers somewhere, but not always. Sometimes higher up on the plug wires and across to the frame. I fixed my charging system, and cured my bikes' problems.

Swap that coil to another cylinder and see if the issue moves with it. Just to isolate the coil as the problem. There can be many causes to your problem. Cops are a good way to go on a Gen 1. They eliminate all the secondary circuit issues that come with age.
Steve-o

Dragmaxster,
What are cops? And I did try the run in dark and all looks good. No cracks in the coils and they also test as they should according to the service book. I might take ya up on the spare coils, don't hurt to have spare electrical.

Jfeagins,
It's missing on start up as well. Fans kick on, it was suggested to me to run new wires and caps to the Plugs so I had LCR ship them to me asap. Should have tomorrow night or sat morning, but was also given bad news that it could be a faulty tdi

Egghead,
My bikes a 91. The frame is powder coated black chrome. Paint is PXR black, has a bunch of metal flake. Looks awesome in sunlight.

Sdt354,
What are cops, lol? I checked all of the coils for their resistance, and all meet service book specs but didn't move them around, after the wires come in and I put them in I will definitely try that to see what my results are.

I also want to thank you guys for replying with places to look. It's finally nice out and can't ride :( so wanna get this nipped quick lol.

COP=coil over plug. 88vmx12 (Gannon) sells a setup for plug & play on our bikes. He's on here.

Sdt354,
What are cops, lol? I checked all of the coils for their resistance, and all meet service book specs but didn't move them around, after the wires come in and I put them in I will definitely try that to see what my results are.

Like FM said, they are coils over the plugs and eliminate the plug wires and OEM coils. They also are an upgrade that is much cheaper than replacing original parts. When TDI's go bad, it's best to go after market and gain a rev limiter function along with choices of advance curves and other features. See our Ignatech threads.
Steve-o

Steve o,
Thanks for the run down on the cops. I will check out the thread and investigate aftermarket TDI's. One had also told me to be concerned about the TCI as well. Not good with acronyms but can guess they are very pricey as well. This was my first build and first bike I kept long enough to have an issue with. All the help, tips and direction from all has been greatly appreciated. !!!! Thanks again.

Ok, I wanna update everyone on my problem. The coils were good and same with the cdi box. Lost from there and not wanting to mess with the carbs, cause some things I just don't want to mess with,, I took the bike to LCR Performance in Rochester I have went there for all of my Vmax's needs, and once again, Lary pulls thru!! Had a carb issue with that cylinder. He took care of that and give me a good carb sync and now I have one mean mean ass bike!!! If anyone on this forum needs parts or service, go to Lary. He is hands down the best local guy(1hr away from me) there is!!!

Back