Coils vmax efi

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Hi All,

A while back Mark (birdoprey) mentioned coil choices using the Haltech ECU. Popular coil's used with the unit are the GM LS1 and LS2's. He also mentioned that LS2's have their own heat sink and we're real flame throwers. Something I need for the race bike running methanol. Sooo I started diggin for info, here's some good stuff on coils. Mark will be setting up his stock motor using COP's. The Haltech is also capable of doing that.

The first video is quite long... but very cool.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6218245369765754251&hl=en

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

Thank You Mark!

So would those of us that are running COPs be able to run a bigger gap and get a fatter spark???

or

Does it really matter???

He had that opened up to .130, that is huge for a spark plug.

You might can open up the gap some to get a bigger spark, but its not nessisarly a hotter spark. Bigger gap=more resistance. Running those coils in the video WOULD require a bigger gap or one would prolly melt something! Can't run those coils with the stk V-max TCI. Those coils require a digital square wave signal to drive. The Haltech ECU that we will be running for the EFI/Ignition project can easily.
The setup we are working on will have many options for ignition, from mild-to-wild. And most of which would not require high $$$$ aftermarket coils.
I'm planning to run the Hayabusa COPs(dumb coils), and this will require a seperate igniter as the Haltech ECU cannot drive them directly. The igniter i'm planning to run uses IGBT's to drive the COPs and those will give them a MUCH hotter spark. There is the possibility of running the IGBTs in the STK TCI(i think i already mentioned this to ya Fargo???). I was gonna go that route, but wanted control of the ignition as well so i did'nt try it out. The IGBTs are pretty cheap. Would require a VERY ADEPT solderer and possibly larger heatsinks.

You might can open up the gap some to get a bigger spark, but its not nessisarly a hotter spark. Bigger gap=more resistance. Running those coils in the video WOULD require a bigger gap or one would prolly melt something! Can't run those coils with the stk V-max TCI. Those coils require a digital square wave signal to drive. The Haltech ECU that we will be running for the EFI/Ignition project can easily.
The setup we are working on will have many options for ignition, from mild-to-wild. And most of which would not require high $$$$ aftermarket coils.
I'm planning to run the Hayabusa COPs(dumb coils), and this will require a seperate igniter as the Haltech ECU cannot drive them directly. The igniter i'm planning to run uses IGBT's to drive the COPs and those will give them a MUCH hotter spark. There is the possibility of running the IGBTs in the STK TCI(i think i already mentioned this to ya Fargo???). I was gonna go that route, but wanted control of the ignition as well so i did'nt try it out. The IGBTs are pretty cheap. Would require a VERY ADEPT solderer and possibly larger heatsinks.

Hey Mark
Yes you did mention the IGBT but I cant remember what it stands for.
Has anyone thought of trying to adapt one of the new 09 EFI to ours???? Is the firing order or the timing the same??? Might be worth looking into
Cheers

Latest posts

Back