Coming up on 20,000

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty72

Reaction score
I'm at 18K and some change, am I going to have to do some valve shims or any other maintainance at 20K?

I did nothing more than check things over at 20k, 40k, 60k, 80k, 100k, and 120k miles. Keep clean oil in it, keep up on the basics, don't beat hell out of it, and the beast will run forever!

I did nothing more than check things over at 20k, 40k, 60k, 80k, 100k, and 120k miles. Keep clean oil in it, keep up on the basics, don't beat hell out of it, and the beast will run forever!

Bill - are you saying that you have never had to adjust your valve clearances - that you have only checked them at the mentioned intervals?

My 94's at 19,000 and as quiet as any I've heard. 89's at 35,000 and a box of rocks but runs like a Raped Ape... I imagine I'll look into the box of rocks just to see what all the noise may be...

that is one good thing about new england winters, gives us time to do work like that... the valves are too bad, i'd do them esp if they weren't done at the 1k mark or whatever... that is once winter hits.

Know the p/o of my bike checked/adjusted the valves around 8k. He said that typically after one "initial" adjustment after a few thousand miles, you're pretty much set for the life of your motor. I dunno if that's true or not, but mine turned over 26k this week and it's quiet as ever.

Know the p/o of my bike checked/adjusted the valves around 8k. He said that typically after one "initial" adjustment after a few thousand miles, you're pretty much set for the life of your motor. I dunno if that's true or not, but mine turned over 26k this week and it's quiet as ever.

morley said something similar to me.

Thanks guys, so I guess the noise level of the engine is the indicator.

Mine sounds the same as it did when I bought it, I think. Definetly no box of rocks!

Thanks guys, so I guess the noise level of the engine is the indicator.

Maybe not, Mr. Frosty. Many valve-related posts on this forum indicate that both intake and exhaust valve clearances often decrease with accumulating mileage. Too-tight valves then become the "silent killers"
Comments from the engine gurus?????

Back