Concealed Carry Weapons, Firearm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys wondering if anyone can give me a hand. my grandfather has a '56 ( i think) Ruger Single-six, which would be coming from NY to MA. So i've talked to a dealer who says despite the yr has to be on the list:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster_04-2011.pdf

however it seems all the ruger models on their website have full 'text' names (ie 'single-six') but the list above has just like the encrypted part numbers (ie knr5). Anyone know a place I can cross reference? I have the serial number and was going to call ruger tomorrow but figured i'd bounce it off you guys. I'd hate to loose this family item because of MA's stupid laws...

also anyone have any idea what its worth? Not sure where to find used firearm prices...

thnx.

hey guys wondering if anyone can give me a hand. my grandfather has a '56 ( i think) Ruger Single-six, which would be coming from NY to MA. So i've talked to a dealer who says despite the yr has to be on the list:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster_04-2011.pdf

however it seems all the ruger models on their website have full 'text' names (ie 'single-six') but the list above has just like the encrypted part numbers (ie knr5). Anyone know a place I can cross reference? I have the serial number and was going to call ruger tomorrow but figured i'd bounce it off you guys. I'd hate to loose this family item because of MA's stupid laws...

also anyone have any idea what its worth? Not sure where to find used firearm prices...

thnx.
This is from a gun forum...

Early Single Sixes are highly collectible - if in V.Good (85+%) to Excellent (92+%) condition. Values here in Eastern PA will range upwards of $550 with Box and papers, somewhat less if w/o box and depending upon condition.

This is from a gun forum...

Early Single Sixes are highly collectible - if in V.Good (85+%) to Excellent (92+%) condition. Values here in Eastern PA will range upwards of $550 with Box and papers, somewhat less if w/o box and depending upon condition.
A little more history..

RUGER OLD MODEL SINGLE-SIX ?LIGHTWEIGHT?
PRODUCED 1956 - 1959
GENERAL OVERVIEW
In 1956 Ruger introduced a ?Lightweight? version of its Single-Six revolver. The first Lightweights had an alloy cylinder frame, alloy cylinder, alloy grip frame, and steel barrel. All Lightweights had a standard 4-5/8 inch barrel. The first guns weighed 23 ounces versus the 35 ounce weight of the standard 5-1/2 inch barrel Single-Six. The guns are roll-marked on the cylinder frame just like the standard Single-Six model, the word Lightweight does not appear in the roll-mark. The first production guns had a silver/gray anodized cylinder frame, black anodized grip frame, flat cartridge loading gate, blued barrel, and Black checkered hard rubber grips. They also had a coating on the alloy cylinder, the coating was known as ?Martin Hard Coat?. It was a brown or dark golden color (sometimes appears greenish or another color). These first guns became known to collectors as the ?Tri-color? Lightweight.
In early 1957 Ruger began to make Lightweights that were all blue in color. These guns were first made with a blue anodized alloy cylinder and then later concurrently with a blued steel cylinder. Also in early 1957 the flat loading gate was changed to the contour or round Colt-style loading gate to coincide with the same change to the standard Single-Sixes.
There was also a group of Tri-color and a few all blue guns that had been set aside during production. These guns were assembled later in 1964/65 and marked with an ?S? to indicate used or seconds. These particular ?S? guns can have a combination of any of the above discussed parts but most have a steel cylinder. Many will have the later XR3-RED redesigned grip frame and oiled Walnut grip panels since these were standard parts when these guns were assembled and shipped.
All Lightweight Single-Sixes will be found in the 200XXX to 212XXX serial number range.
The Lightweights came in silver and red colored boxes with black or less common green wreaths around the Eagle on top of the box. However, some were shipped in the standard black and red colored box of the Single-Six, usually with the appropriate mark up or sticker on the end of the box to indicate that it contained a Lightweight.
The Lightweight guns did not prove to be very popular and were dropped from production in 1959. There were only about 12,000 of these produced which makes them very scarce and hard to find. Pristine Lightweights in their original boxes are extremely hard to find thus extremely desirable - and normally fairly costly.

Interesting info. This one has serial number 35xxx so I think its older than those. Any ideas on the model numbers?

Interesting info. This one has serial number 35xxx so I think its older than those. Any ideas on the model numbers?[/QUOT
I found this on a forum also, this looks like the way to go..
OK...a little more info for those looking to get a "year" on their Ruger. ruger-firearms.com, ask Ruger, FAQ's, select general ?'s, then look for the "can you tell me the manfu. date if I tell you the serial #" question. You will be taken to a directory of firearm typs...select yours & match them up!

Interesting info. This one has serial number 35xxx so I think its older than those. Any ideas on the model numbers?[/QUOT
I found this on a forum also, this looks like the way to go..
OK...a little more info for those looking to get a "year" on their Ruger. ruger-firearms.com, ask Ruger, FAQ's, select general ?'s, then look for the "can you tell me the manfu. date if I tell you the serial #" question. You will be taken to a directory of firearm typs...select yours & match them up!
I actually went there and that's how I got the '56 info, it unfortunately doesn't have the model # aside from singlesix tho...

the ruger single six can be several models...XRN1 KXRN1, BRN or even SSM....as to the older models like a vintage one like that I wouldn't knwo for sure. I don't see any of thosemodels on the list...so I would contact a local gun dealer and ask them. They could probably tell you with more certainty.

the dealer i contacted simply said "single-six" isn't on the list so your SOL. i then brought up to him there wasn't any 'text' names on the list and he said good catch i'll look into it. i'm gonna call ruger today at some point.

A call to Ruger with the serial number should yield you the exact model number of the gun, the year it shipped and the original configuration (barrel length, convertible, etc...) although I believe the actual number is RSS6

It should look like the one in this photo
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9289683

If your gun is a 56' then it is an old model or 3 screw as they are commonly called due to the presence of 3 screw heads on the right side frame (as opposed to 2 screws on the new models. The old models have no transfer bar and thus must be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. As mentioned above these guns are highly collectible and even if is fair condition are still very desired by many people.

Whatever you do.....never send this gun back to Ruger. Their first thing would be to convert it to a transfer bar lockwork (new model) and stamp the frame as converted. This will generally devalue the gun as unconverted old models are more collectible than converted ones. They can be converted back as Ruger generally returns all of the original parts, but the frame is still stamped.

As far as the legality in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, it does not appear that your gun is on the "approved list". As a matter of fact, I don't see any of the old models on their current list:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

You may be SOL with respect to this fine old firearm.

A call to Ruger with the serial number should yield you the exact model number of the gun, the year it shipped and the original configuration (barrel length, convertible, etc...) although I believe the actual number is RSS6

It should look like the one in this photo
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9289683

If your gun is a 56' then it is an old model or 3 screw as they are commonly called due to the presence of 3 screw heads on the right side frame (as opposed to 2 screws on the new models. The old models have no transfer bar and thus must be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. As mentioned above these guns are highly collectible and even if is fair condition are still very desired by many people.

Whatever you do.....never send this gun back to Ruger. Their first thing would be to convert it to a transfer bar lockwork (new model) and stamp the frame as converted. This will generally devalue the gun as unconverted old models are more collectible than converted ones. They can be converted back as Ruger generally returns all of the original parts, but the frame is still stamped.

As far as the legality in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, it does not appear that your gun is on the "approved list". As a matter of fact, I don't see any of the old models on their current list:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster.pdf

You may be SOL with respect to this fine old firearm.

thanks for the info man and i found out some similar stuff..

the dealer out here said he found the newer model number for the single six on ruger's website and he can probably just use that.

In Tennessee we don't have concealed carry; just carry. But I stay concealed, and for reliabilty and super small size I carry a Pug 22mag. So small I can carry in shorts and know one can tell. It's simple and will work everytime. Best to avoid problem but for short range as I am 'reaching for my money' they get it in the gut.

It's hard to find a comfortable holster that doesn't leave a print......

It's hard to find a comfortable holster that doesn't leave a print......

Gotta go IWB, I wore my PT709 all day yesterday doin stuff at my mothers house covered with just a henly style shirt and she did't say a word, neither did my niece who lives with her, and they both would of commented for sure if they saw it. If you leary about them try the Desantis Softuc, they are under $20 so if you don't like it you didn't throw a bunch of money away.

Check out the "Cross Breed" IWB. Completely invisable and comfortable. I also have worn it all day carrying a S&W J frame w/ laser sights and its easy to forget it's there.( Though I really shouldn't):ummm:

I'd have to agree with Lew about the Crossbreed holster. I've been carrying for years and once I went to the Crossbreed I never went back. Can carry all day and forget it's there. 75% of the time I'm carrying a Colt Defender .45 but I'll also carry a Glock 36 and just recently started carrying a Glock 19. I tend to shoot a lot of ammo each month and the 9mm is just cheaper than .45 so since I've been shooting it I figured I'd carry it every once in a while. However all 3 guns are carried in Crossbreed holsters.

so i ended up getting my license and was able to get my grandfathers firearms... a ruger single six (1956). blacked out, like my max, hah.. a hopkins & allen .22 XL, and a .22 rifle and a 410 shotgun. all legally!

only one mixup in the whole process. the FFL who sent the ruger and hopkins & allen to the dealer out here shipped the ruger LOADED! so that was a major issue, the reciving FFL wasn't too happy.

^ And another reason why this country always pushes for stricter gun laws for the law abiding gun owners. Stupid people. The FFL who shipped that should be servilely fined for their stupidity and senseless endangerment of others.

I am a gun owner and collector in MA, one of the worst states to own firearms. Need not get into that at the moment...it is frustrating here to say the least.

I carry a HK45c in a Looper IWB holster made by Custom Carry Concepts. I have three other loopers for a HK P2000, SIG P229, and Colt 1911. All are concealed very well and I highly recommend their product. Although as many of you know, one holster that is good for me doess not fit well on you. I have a box full of holsters in my closet of all varieties and prices as I am sure many of you do as well! Tough to find the one that works with your body.

Back