Coolant Leak - HELP!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
Greetings from the still snow covered state of Utah!

Sun is peaking through today so I decided to take the Max off the battery tender and fire it up.

Coolant began leaking from the right front cylinder weep hole so I shut it down and started investigating...

Pulled the plug out and found the source (I think)...

Picture is taken with the spark plug removed.

What is this apparatus, why would it be leaking, and what do I do about it?

Attachments

• coolant leak.jpg
    coolant leak.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 198
Ron Ayers fiche calls it a joint,#13 under cylinder. I say it's more like a freeze plug. Hell, just looked in the Clymer they call it a water pipe, shit you not. Joint, water pipe whats up with that:rofl_200:

Yeah, finally found that on fiche as well... Looks like it has 3 different O-Rings.

Soooooooo, do I simply pull the pin, remove the "joint", replace the O-Rings, and reassemble???

Looks like thats all there is to it, but i've never done it before.

First off, I never had or seen this problem, but I would say frost plug too. So with that, I would check the coolant freezing point test and see if that was the problem.

Mike

You'll want to drain your coolant first or you'll fill your crankcase with coolant. It will go right down through the head into the crankcase. Also, they can SUCK to get out. I'd use duckbill pliers if you have any. Mine were stuck so bad I had to break them out. Luckily I was tearing the motor down anyway.

Was your coolant low?
Did it continue to leak after warm up?
What Temp was it outside?

Mine leaks from a few places when it sits overnight and it gets to down around 10-20 F.

Both Rusty and I had the morning drips in Yellowstone this fall when it was cold as fuk.

Good points (and good to hear from you)!

Coolant was full.

Temp was 40F outside, but we were down in the single digits overnight for a week or so recently...

Leak began once warm and stopped when cooled off (pressure leak).

I've had "winter incontinence" before, too, but this is definitely leaking under pressure and gets worse the warmer it gets... :(

Any tips or tricks in removing this bad boy without destroying it would be very much appreciated. Then again, it's only a $20 part... Better to mess it up than scar the head...

O-Rings are ordered and on their way...

Sorry I was late guys,

Yes, duck bills are a must if you want any hope of getting it out without the flange disintegrating. Drain the coolant from the bottom of the pump as well as that cylinder (which the plug for it is located under the small rectangular piece bolted to the jug area. Use a spark plug to thread into and pull out the plug which will let the coolant come out fully.

Pull the retaining pin out (usually a twist then pull will remove it.) Don't worry about the end that will smash flat as it will still go the job it was intended to when you reuse it.

Remove the spark plug from the cylinder and get a good paper towel in the area where the plug fits into, to catch any residual fluid that come out.

Twist and pull the coolant transfer tube right out and there will be the three o-rings on it. Likely the o-rings are actually good but replace them anyway. Check for corrosion on the sealing surface of the block that it passes into and clean that as best you can.

Put it all back in and you're in business.

Sean

Thanks Sean!!!! Oh, and thanks for paging him, Shad... \m/

Quick question... If the O-Rings are likely good, why would this be leaking???

Corrosion build up around the joint. Cold temps also shrink parts allowing some seepage. Might need to freshen up the coolant (make sure not to use the GM dexcool).

Sean

Replaced water joint (with new O rings) and problem solved!

Getting the old one out was frighteningly easy and I wonder why... New one went in tight...

New coolant, fresh oil change, fresh tank of gas and I took it out and ran it about for a bit.

No leaks... :D

Now, about that 1st gear slippage... :(

Small coolant leak at the plug drain port above the head gasket on a vmax. What could it be?

Back