COPs kit/carb

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Maxwell Ribaldry

Reaction score
Installed one of G's COPs kit. Directions were spot on. 3 out of the 4 of my coils were cracked. Not as hard as I thought it would be from reading the forums

I tried to start it without the air box on, fully choked (as I've had to do since I've owned it , 2 months) wouldn't start. #4 Carb shot some gas out of the upper jet. Took choke off, fired right up (it's 27°F).

Finished putting everything on and test started again. Running a lot smoother. Thanks G, you put together an awesome kit!

I changed jets a couple weeks ago from stock to 147 (have cobra slip ons) because gas was in the cans when running.

Now I'm wondering am I running too lean, should I need some choke when it's this cold? I know now that I had incomplete combustion from the bad coils.

Is the gas shooting up into the air a normal thing or is this indicating that I have some carb cleaning to do?

I love the fact it starts right up just wondering if I have any more work to do.

Sean

You should need some choke/fuel enrichment to start a cold Vmax. Or, your too rich. Gas in the cans indicates an issue other than main jetting. Make sure to be in sync, A/F srews set around 2 1/2 turns out from seated, for a starting point. Float levels need to be in spec. If you don't have a manual, download it here.
Steve-o

Have seafoam in the tank.

Plan to sync once it gets warmer so I can get it good warmed up. Still need to get a carbtube.

Amazing how much smoother it idles.

Sean

So I'm still possibly running too rich and may have to go down another jet size or two?

I think I have a set of 145s. I can try that out once it warms up and see how it performs.

Seems odd that with the old cracked coils it was running leaner and now with better spark I'm running rich. I would think with more complete combustion it would be leaner. I must be making a gross conceptual error.

Not sure how the two things line up, any ideas?

Also the crank case hose wasn't hooked up right, what type of effects would this have?

Sean

Sean

I wouldn't go any lower than 147.5's for the Mains or you will be really lean on the top end.
The Main Jets effect mid-range to WOT.
attachment.php

I'd check and make sure your A/F Scews are not out too far (anywhere from 2-3 turns out should work well).
You could also just have flooded it when attempting to start it without the airbox on, it really doesn't like to run without the airbox.
Read this for some VMax Carb Tuning Info:
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/cv_carb_tuning.htm

PS
There are a lot of Vmax owners in Michigan, you should check and see if any are close enough and have a CarbTune you could use.
I've lent mine out around here to a few guys and will again.

Attachments

• carbcircuits.jpg
    carbcircuits.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 98
There are a few that are in the SE Michigan area. At a Spring Icebreaker I watched Damon and Tyler diagnose and tune a bike with the air box off. They pinched the carb "breather" tubes that normally run on the outside of the air box and terminate near the air intakes on either side which allowed the bike to run normally.

Great, I'm in the downriver.

I've made a lot of head way so far.

This forum is great. I'd be lost without everyone's help on here.

Sean

Have seafoam in the tank.

Plan to sync once it gets warmer so I can get it good warmed up. Still need to get a carbtube.

Amazing how much smoother it idles.

Sean

Shoot, no need for a Carbtune! Just slam one of these together with a couple bottles, rubber corks and some clear vinyl tubing. Once you are adjusted so the water isn't moving from one bottle to the other you're synced! A little homebrew fun if you want.
photo.jpg

Shoot, no need for a Carbtune! Just slam one of these together with a couple bottles, rubber corks and some clear vinyl tubing. Once you are adjusted so the water isn't moving from one bottle to the other you're synced! A little homebrew fun if you want.
photo.jpg

I'd be interested in knowing more about the Is there a post on it? I also brew so I have lots of bottles and fittings.

Also found the PO didn't seat the plugs or gap them they were all different and +.050. After I put my new NGK plugs in it smoothed out even more. Bottom right can smoked heavy for a cpl minutes but cleared up.

Sean

Sean

Just do a quick image search for "bottle carb sync" on google and peruse the photos. It will make sense in a hurry. You can do a four bottle system or just a two bottom like I do and sync a pair of carbs together, and then one bank to the other. The key is to not put so much liquid in the bottles that if one fills up it gets sucked into the engine.

i2vos0.png

Back