Crankcase pressure (big bore engines)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Wondering what you guys are doing about the extra pressure from the crankcase. Are you using stock breather or STG 7 set up or how are you managing excessive oil from blowing out the breather?

Wondering what you guys are doing about the extra pressure from the crankcase. Are you using stock breather or STG 7 set up or how are you managing excessive oil from blowing out the breather?

I am not running a lrg bore engine, but I did have problems with excessive crankcase pressure with this 85 engine.
I basically made a puke ventalition system very simpliar to the dynojet stage 7.
You can basically make one of these for under 25.00.

Its basically a hose coming up from your oil fill, into a puke tank and vents ran from there to two of the carbs and sucked through and burnt out the exhaust.

lankee does the hose thread into the oil fill? some kind of fitting ? I seem to have that problem when my 86 was up and running . so I would assume I will have the same problem this time around as well. thx, Jason

There were pictures of a custom puke tank that I thought Lankee had designed and built? I did a quick search of "puke can" but did not come up with them. :confused2: Anyone know where it is by chance?:ummm:

There were pictures of a custom puke tank that I thought Lankee had designed and built? I did a quick search of "puke can" but did not come up with them. :confused2: Anyone know where it is by chance?:ummm:
Ah nevermind, I found it and it was Lankee that had put this crankcase ventilation system together. That should help with seeing how it connected.

lankee does the hose thread into the oil fill? some kind of fitting ? I seem to have that problem when my 86 was up and running . so I would assume I will have the same problem this time around as well. thx, Jason

No I had to modify my oil fill cap. Drill and tap for an adapter.

I've got a few stage seven oil fll caps if you want a fancier one. I also have a few custom caps that we supply with our Jet kits.

On my 1500 I installed a stage seven restrictor in the PCV hose at the base of the hose, then I used a rear differential vent cap on the top of that hose. Seemed to work well even with the rings seating in (when you'd have more blowby problems).

If you're getting that much pressure escaping the rings the engine is getting a bit of wear in it. The crankcase vent will definetely help but drawing it straight into the carbs can gum them up a bit. Make sure to run seafaom regularly.

Sean Morley

Ok. PCW also told me he put a restrictor in the hose and that additional venting is not needed so i'll see if there was a catch can put in or do the same as you

I have a 1500 with a stage 7 that is spewing oil out of the two air breathers. Only 1300 miles on motor. I have the restrictor in the drain tube. Not sure if I need a bigger puke bottle, tap a breather into the stator, or both. Oil level is at mid window.

I have a 1500 with a stage 7 that is spewing oil out of the two air breathers. Only 1300 miles on motor. I have the restrictor in the drain tube. Not sure if I need a bigger puke bottle, tap a breather into the stator, or both. Oil level is at mid window. Any other ideas?

Might be some excessive blow by if the rings didn't seat very well. They do make more pressure for sure. Might want to look into the puke tank.

Sean

Hi, where can I purchase a chrome or aluminum oil fill cap for my gen 2 vmax. Just trying to add a little bling to the all black engine. My wife says the engine is ugly and needs something shiney on it. I already purchased a set of aluminum cam covers that look pretty good. Please let me know if there are any out there. Thanks a lot

What do you like? My wife loves the tough, industrial look. It's a Vmax not a Harley. Chrome won't make it run better, faster or longer. Haha.

I have a 1500 with a stage 7 that is spewing oil out of the two air breathers. Only 1300 miles on motor. I have the restrictor in the drain tube. Not sure if I need a bigger puke bottle, tap a breather into the stator, or both. Oil level is at mid window. Any other ideas?
The oil is normal unfortunately. The pressure is typical esp if you run on the highway. The easiest is the capped or oem cap.

Latest posts

Back