Crash guards with forward controls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitmax

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently bought some forward controls on Ebay. Very nice and good price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110960533378
However, I would like to put some crash guards on my Vmax now, or some frame sliders. I had the OEM Yamaha engine guards on before, but they will not fit now with the forward controls.
Does anyone know of any possible universal crash guards and/or frame sliders that will fit the Vmax with the forward controls?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Pitmax

Your new forward controls look strong enough to act as frame sliders where they are mounted , just be prepared to look at some damaged chrome in the event you drop it or take a dive. You might want some sliders for the back end to keep the covers ding free. :punk:

Thanks Sean & Will.The cycle one off ones do not work, as they interfere with the foot controls (I have them), and Python has none on their page.
I'm thinking maybe some frame sliders for the front, mounted on the frame, but I have yet to find any.

I have never seen sliders for the back end, where can I find those?

Thanks Sean & Will.The cycle one off ones do not work, as they interfere with the foot controls (I have them), and Python has none on their page.
I'm thinking maybe some frame sliders for the front, mounted on the frame, but I have yet to find any.

I have never seen sliders for the back end, where can I find those?

Will passed on some years back but his American truisms and one-liners still ring in many hearts & minds .

If you lean your bike over , with the help of a friend , you will see what hits the pavement after the forward controls. It may be your rear tire.

I am not sure what will need to be done. We have the exact bike you see in the ad in our shop right now. So, it's possible we can maybe work on something like that but not sure how quickly I am going to get to it. I was planning on making these controls into "dual" controls so you could run them from either position.

What would be awesome is some crash guards that could mount to the upper frame, somewhere near the scoops.
I may have found another option in frame sliders made for the old Yamaha FZ6 that fit into the frame on the lower engine mounts.
Could be a gamble, but I may have to order them to test it out.
Possibly be a waste of money, but there is no other way to find out.

What would be awesome is some crash guards that could mount to the upper frame, somewhere near the scoops.
I may have found another option in frame sliders made for the old Yamaha FZ6 that fit into the frame on the lower engine mounts.
Could be a gamble, but I may have to order them to test it out.
Possibly be a waste of money, but there is no other way to find out.

Crash guards mounted near the scoops would probably do nothing to protect the engine lower cases from damage, in the event of a low-speed crash or tip over.
From what I can see in the pics provided, it appears that a set of custom crash guards would be relatively simple to fabricate - providing you have the skills/material/welding experience to pull this off (of course you could always use the services of a machine shop).
The upper mounting points are obvious - the two frame-removal bolts on the brake side, the two engine support bolts on the shifter side. Flat plates would be bolted at these locations, to these the curved pipe sections welded. These sections would have to be bent up high enough to provide clearance for your feet.
The lower plates that support the other ends of the curved pipe sections could be bolted to the same points that the forward controls presently use, with some alteration required, of course.
A few folks on this forum have fabricated custom crash guards, for both the gen 1 and gen 2 maxes. Perhaps they will pipe in with suggestions as well.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I got some crash guards in a trade. They didn't have any bolts for mounting. What do I need to mount them?

Thanks for the suggestion Miles. I'm going to look for someone that can make some for me.
In the interim I hope the ones I ordered for the FZ6 will fit well with the mid frame engine mounts, as they will not interfere with the braking/shifting, provided they fit there well.

How do I connect the top of the right side engine guard? Will any bolt that fits through work, or do I need a specific bolt? Don't want my frame to separate. Right now its on with just the bottom bolt secured.

A longer bolt and bushing are standard with the guards. You can use about any bolt as well as either a stack or washers or a bushing that sticks up just a little out of the hole so the guard can tighten to it and not against the frame tube.

Back