Cut out the cross over pipe?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my 2000, I have the Holeshot slip-ons but what I would like to do is cut out the cross over pipe that is under the bike. This is the stock exhaust that links the two sides together. This way it would be easier for me to get a better AFR reading from side to side. As it is now it's all hooked together. What problems I'm I going to have if I do this. I would cut out the cross over and weld the pipes up smooth. What do you think? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the crossover produces better exhaust flow on the VMax, but I may be wrong.

Holeshot makes a slip on??? I didn't know that...

If it's set up like I'm imagining it is then eliminating the crossover will reduce HP by eliminating the scavenging effect of the crossover......The cylinder that last fired, it's exhaust pulse helps suck the gases out of the next cylinder, on so on.....

Search "Cobra Slip ons" Hands down HP killer.....It's a slip on that turns the factory exhaust into 4 individual pipes and mufflers and is known to reduce HP probably 10hp at least....

Don't worry about "targeting" where your a/f is coming from, they don't even do that on huge HP F/I cars, usually only one bank of a V6 or V8 is being read....I've seen it done on all cylinders but only by guys who are "Guage Junkies"" with lot's of money to burn.....

You gotta take it on faith that whatever tuning you have done is consistent from carb to carb and cylinder to cylinder....after that plug condition should tell you if you have a particluar cylinder that's not playing well with others......

If you want to get individual cylinder readings for some sort of troubleshooting purposes maybe??? You could weld bungs in in front of the crossover on the ind. pipes and move the sensor around as needed, but gotta make sure it's not too close to the exhaust port, your installation manual should give you a numbers for that.........

I've not seen the holeshot slip ons, are they similiar to Kerkers in that the factory garbage/collector can is done away with, then 2 pipes into one going to two mufflers, ????, But with the addition of a crossover after the 2-1 junctions, which Kerker does not have??????

When I ran an a/f guage on my stock exhaust I installed it directly into the factory collector can, that big box that looks like a 1950"s Kirby Vaccum Cleaner.

I now have it installed in the mid pipe on one side so that it reads the front left cyclinder and the rear right cylinder.

On my 2000, I have the Holeshot slip-ons but what I would like to do is cut out the cross over pipe that is under the bike. This is the stock exhaust that links the two sides together. This way it would be easier for me to get a better AFR reading from side to side. As it is now it's all hooked together. What problems I'm I going to have if I do this. I would cut out the cross over and weld the pipes up smooth. What do you think? Thanks.

If you are talking about downpipes connection(front header)...
I was asking about this years ago - I didnt get any answer.
Eventualy I have removed the crosover pipe and welded the holes up.
I was running two bros slipons back there - honestly it was no diffrence,

Yes that is what I'm asking. I guess I needed to be more clear,sorry. The front two down pipes are connected together with a cross over pipe. The rear two do not have this. I want to remove just that cross over pipe.

Attachments

• cross over 001.jpg
    cross over 001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 40
OK, I see now, I had totally forgot about the stockers having a front cylinder crossover to be honest with you. I thought you were saying the slipons had their own crossover.......

Probably like Prez says, not a big deal and probably not noticeable....Although technically the more crossover and scavenging you have the better the low and mid range is going to be I believe....Probably no difference on top end power.......

OK, I see now, I had totally forgot about the stockers having a front cylinder crossover to be honest with you. I thought you were saying the slipons had their own crossover.......

Probably like Prez says, not a big deal and probably not noticeable....Although technically the more crossover and scavenging you have the better the low and mid range is going to be I believe....Probably no difference on top end power.......

Yup, crssover may be good only for stock giant muffler.

Back