Cycle One Off - New Wheels? 17"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxwellSmart

Reaction score
Thinking seriously about the Cycle One Off wheels for my (new to me) shiney '05 Max:

http://www.cycleoneoff.com/V-max-wheels.html

Tom will powder coat and even add the red pinstripe, front and rear wheels 17" complete with all hardware.

Says it'll handle 180's without notching the swing arm - notch it and you can mount 200's.

He says offset is .25 - anybody have any photos? Y'all like these wheels? I have read a few threads here and he seems to have a good rep on the forum.
What is the verdict:hmmm:?

Thinking seriously about the Cycle One Off wheels for my (new to me) shiney '05 Max:

http://www.cycleoneoff.com/V-max-wheels.html

Tom will powder coat and even add the red pinstripe, front and rear wheels 17" complete with all hardware.

Says it'll handle 180's without notching the swing arm - notch it and you can mount 200's.

He says offset is .25 - anybody have any photos? Y'all like these wheels? I have read a few threads here and he seems to have a good rep on the forum.
What is the verdict:hmmm:?

I'm leaning hard towards one of these wheels myself. I'm going to do two mods this summer, this being one and a new tail section the other.

Here you go :punk:

Tell Tom Neil sent you!

Attachments

• 111807_coo_wheel_back.jpg
    111807_coo_wheel_back.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 111807_coo_wheel_side.jpg
    111807_coo_wheel_side.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for the pics Neil, that wheel looks great! I think when I get my "economic stimulus incentive check" I will be giving Tom a call.

Last edited:
Just a personal opinion here,,, the offest of .25 is a lot. That's a quarter inch. When some people move the washer to make clearance for a larger tire, it comes out to less than half that amount. About 3mm. Carrozzeria rims are offset 3mm (.118"). Rims from John Furbur are 1/8" offset. I think that should be the limit for most applications.

The thing is,,, with a smaller offset, you can gain the needed clearance for the large tire just like moving the washer, and, you can adjust the swingarm over to the left with pivot bolts to center the tire/rim assembly in the frame again. But with a 1/4" offset, you won't have enough adjustment to center the rim/tire with the pivot bolts.

The picture posted looks so far to the right I would never be happy with it.

Vinnie

The stock rim is offset!

quit staring and analyzing and just ride, youll never notice it in handling

Just a personal opinion here,,, the offest of .25 is a lot. That's a quarter inch. When some people move the washer to make clearance for a larger tire, it comes out to less than half that amount. About 3mm. Carrozzeria rims are offset 3mm (.118"). Rims from John Furbur are 1/8" offset. I think that should be the limit for most applications.

The thing is,,, with a smaller offset, you can gain the needed clearance for the large tire just like moving the washer, and, you can adjust the swingarm over to the left with pivot bolts to center the tire/rim assembly in the frame again. But with a 1/4" offset, you won't have enough adjustment to center the rim/tire with the pivot bolts.

The picture posted looks so far to the right I would never be happy with it.

Vinnie

Not sitting around much staring bro. I ride the hell out of my bike. But proper setup is important to some people that want to ride a safe bike and I wanted to pass on some of my experience. I guess some people don't care and ride things even if they're not setup as best as they can be.

I've messed with a few different setups. And from my experience, you will notice something if the wheel is not setup correctly in the center. If the wheel is far over to the right, the bike will track to the left when you lift your hands off the bars. This may bother some people. It bothered me when I had the wheel off to one side before centering it.

A bike should be setup to track straight with no rider input. But to each his own. Like I said,,,,,,,,,, my opinion.

Vinnie

The stock rim is offset!

+1, Stock offset is about 3/8" of an inch.

If you go to the dealers and get a right side pivot bolt and jam nut assembly, from there you mount it on the left side and get back alot of the offset and center your wheel. All you would have to do is set your offset on left side first with the pivot bolt, then tighten the jam nut. Then just set the right side normally and there ya go.

I think there is a write-up on it somewhere.

Yeah, that's the setup I have had since just after buying my bike new. Just two of the same pivot bolts and jam nuts. Then you can adjust (10mm or so) and get the wheel close to center. That is, if the offset on an aftermarket wheel is not so far off that you wind up hitting the swingarm spacer against the frame.
Vinnie

Back