Darwin awards - ALABAMA candidate

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Thumbs up to Komatsu on the strength of their ROPS. I though it was interesting how the stack fell straight down at first.

Had an employee borrow one of our mini excavators for a home project. He brought it back with dents on the roof, and broken glass. I asked what happened? He said he was trying to tear down his chimney. It fell over, onto his patio and onto our excavator.

I got my house pretty cheap because it needed work and there was a older house behind it, in the same yard, that needed demo'd. I ripped the old house down with an excavator last year. My 10 year old son was intrigued and videoed some of the progress. He missed the part where I actually knocked it over though.

I went around with a little excavator and ripped all the walls out except about 18" on each corner. I positioned the machine on the gable end and reached up as high as I could and gave it a push. The whole thing collapsed into a nice pile.

I was in that same type machine yesterday, moving some jersey barrier. I think it was a 300 komatsu. You can do a lot of damage in a big hurry with a machine that size. It is good to see how well the cab held up. I say this about the operator. I don't think the collaspe was anticipated, but he was smart enough to spin the excavator to the safest possible position. If he didn't do that, that chimney would have been in his lap.

What I find incredible is that this procedure was allowed in Alabama, or ANYWHERE in North America, for that matter. In Canada, each province has Occupational Safety and Health divisions, with full-time inspectors required on any job involving a set number of employees. ANY smaller job - even those done by homeowners - are subjected to inspection and possible shutdown at any time, at the discretion of the inspector.
Any accident involving injury or death is reviewed to the nth. degree. Lawsuits and huge fines are common. The rules have been tightened up so much that not only the company or contractor can be fined or sued, even the immediate supervisor of the accident victim(s) can be held liable.
Government at work, protecting us against ourselves. In some cases (this one for example) not a bad thing at all.
As the expression goes, "You can't fix stupid"
Cheers!

What I find incredible is that this procedure was allowed in Alabama, or ANYWHERE in North America, for that matter. In Canada, each province has Occupational Safety and Health divisions, with full-time inspectors required on any job involving a set number of employees. ANY smaller job - even those done by homeowners - are subjected to inspection and possible shutdown at any time, at the discretion of the inspector.
Any accident involving injury or death is reviewed to the nth. degree. Lawsuits and huge fines are common. The rules have been tightened up so much that not only the company or contractor can be fined or sued, even the immediate supervisor of the accident victim(s) can be held liable.
Government at work, protecting us against ourselves. In some cases (this one for example) not a bad thing at all.
As the expression goes, "You can't fix stupid"
Cheers!

The same rules apply in the US....Here it is called OSHA. You said that magic words....DEATH. UNTIL there is a death....OSHA doesnt come out and investigate. It is for the owner of the company's responsibility to compy with the law, and make certain that all of their employees are trained, and brought up todate with current, laws, standards, and procedures. Unfortunately, all of that takes money...which equates to cost. I'm with you, because I do industrial safety as well....just stating the facts.

So...when someone decides to have work done.....say demobing a chimney, and you get 2 bids. One company is licensed and bonded, can produce certs on all of its employees, and gives you a bid for 10000 to do the work, or you get Jimmy Joe Bob, with his brother in laws back hoe willing to do the job for 2000, which one will most people choose?

We have OSHA. The Feds saftey watch dogs. I work for a 50 million + dollar company. We have serious saftey standards. The majority of our work is for the thruway or Dept of Transportation. We have OSHA, also Thruway inspectors watching every operation. They don't tell us how to do it, but there are standards that have to be met. We also have a private saftey consultant that periodically show up on the job. At one of our saftey meetings the speaker said that the small contractors are supposed to follow the same rules as us. Even the lawn mowing contractors. That rarely happens. There are also Inspection for Home operations such as electrical, plumbing, septic systems etc...

Legally doing the work does require much in the way of licensed behavior in the States. Where I used to work was responsible for the blasting permits for the 2nd most-populous FL county. That includes maintaining control over the supplies which were kept in a magazine that was inventoried weekly and under lock & key, naturally in a secure location that was heavily patrolled. Any blasting permits were issued by my division, and we were responsible for issuing the permits, supervising the placement of the charges, monitoring the blast, including placement of machines to monitor the force of the actual event, and subsequent clean-up.

For more on State of Florida requirements, please refer to Florida Administrative Code, Chapter 69A-2:
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=69A-2

I went on one demo of a bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway. The charges were placed around the pilings underwater, and while this was going on, thousands of cars, trucks, and pedestrians transited the bridge, blissfully unaware what was going on. The day of the blast, I was one of the monitors, and was on a boat on the water by the bridge. The clearance for the blast took awhile while the final connections were made and of course, this day, the bridge was shut-down. There were containment barriers above the charges to stop flying debris.

When the order to execute was given, a siren sounded, final approvals from the safety monitors around the work area were given, boat traffic was halted, and the sequential charges were activated. Not much sound as the charges were below the waterline, but you felt it in the boat. Then thousands of fish floated to the surface, and confirmation of the blasting packages all having been fired were made. After that it was clean-up time.

The video won't load for me. I tried multiple times. From the description, it sounds like things were not done to follow recognized practices of demolition management. I'd have to think that someone lost their job after something like this, and that the backhoe/front end loader operator was one lucky guy who was operating in a fashion he shouldn't have been.

In the fire service, they used to teach you that you needed to be a certain % away from an unstable wall in case it collapsed, and after people were killed because the % figure was tragically proven to be unreliable the figure was revised to be the same as the height of the wall. In many cases that is physically impossible, of course, so there are other methods used to maximize safety for firefighters, including each FF being responsible for passing through to the Safety Officer in the ICS (Incident Command System) signs of imminent structural failure. The Safety Officer can make the call to remove fireground scene members, he informs the Incident Commander of his decision, the order goes out over the radio from Incident Command HQ, and four blasts from the apparatus airhorns is sounded to alert all personnel to abandon the building immediately.

Wow, that guy should go to church! "Thank-you, Jesus!"

A good commercial for the safety cage.

Another thing I noticed was, all the bricks on the far side of the excavator were taken out first. It gives the apperance that they expected the chimney to fall away from the machine. The same "theory" as cutting a wedge out of a tree to get it to fall in the direction you want. Didn't work out so well.

Back