Death Wobble for me too...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gasem i like the strips on the tank is that a stock tank from another year...id rather the strips then the flames

Nope! I painted my stocker like that. I stole the idea from the 2003 design which had stickers. Mine is painted. :thumbs up:

The fake flames didn't do it for me either...:whistlin:

I found my speedo was off by about 10-12MPH. The speedo read 145 and GPS read 133 I believe. I am running a 120/70/18 front tire though.

I bought a speedo drive for a mid 90's FZ600 (I think it was) and placed those gears into my old housing and on our last trip it was dead on in agreement with all the other stock maxes, which is apparently off by a bit. I'm also running a 120/70-18 front radial.

Before I did this my speedo was so far off with the 120/70-18 tire that I couldn't tolerate it, drove me crazy.

Now, according to the mile markers over a few hundred miles of highway riding, it's over reading by a little less than 2% on the odometer which I assume should be in agreement with the speedometer.

Rusty

I bought a speedo drive for a mid 90's FZ600 (I think it was) and placed those gears into my old housing and on our last trip it was dead on in agreement with all the other stock maxes, which is apparently off by a bit. I'm also running a 120/70-18 front radial.

Before I did this my speedo was so far off with the 120/70-18 tire that I couldn't tolerate it, drove me crazy.

Now, according to the mile markers over a few hundred miles of highway riding, it's over reading by a little less than 2% on the odometer which I assume should be in agreement with the speedometer.

Rusty

Not to rape this thread completely but can you set me up with the year and parts from the FZ that were needed to do this?:ummm: Even though my GPS is on my bike 9 times out of 10 it would be nice to have it correct or at least closer.

My SV was off 9% stock and 12% when I geared it up BUT the odo was dead nuts stock! I installed a speedo-healer on it and it's 1-2mph off at 75. Not bad... :banana:

:hammer bash:
Not to rape this thread completely but can you set me up with the year and parts from the FZ that were needed to do this?:ummm: Even though my GPS is on my bike 9 times out of 10 it would be nice to have it correct or at least closer.

My SV was off 9% stock and 12% when I geared it up BUT the odo was dead nuts stock! I installed a speedo-healer on it and it's 1-2mph off at 75. Not bad... :banana:

I called the parts department had them look though my account to see what stuff I had ordered, and got this

Part # 4x82551901000 gear unit drive assembly

$51.99

They couldn't figure out what bike it was for but a know it was from a mid 90's Yamaha sportbike.

It is for a 17" wheel/tire combo but it's much closer than the stock one.

Here's the whole story, you're gonna like it.

When I bought my wheels from UFO I talked to Jon about a gear drive.

He told me any mid 90's yamaha FZ600? would work.
So that's what I ordered.
I recieved the whole housing unit and it looks identical to the one on the Max.

...but the hole for the axle is too small:bang head:

Thanks Jon:damn angry:

So I bring it to work, give it to one of our "ace" machinists along with the size hole needed. There is plenty of meat there to machine it out.

I come back to pick it up and the hole looks great, perfect size and everything...

...excepts it's WAY THE FUCK OFF CENTER...:hammer bash:

He used a drill press instead of a milling machine....:looser:

I "thanked" him and left.....:th_biggun:

After that I pulled the gears out of the new housing and installed them in the old one.....

There is a "blind" roll pin holding the worm gear in place that you have to drill a tiny hole for in order to push the roll pin out from the other side.

Boxxenstopp lists one of these on thier site which I assume has the right size hole in it already. It's just a matter of paying a premium for thier knowledge of knowing exactly which yamaha part # is the RIGHT one.
Edit;

turns out it's not really much of a premium since Boxxenstopps is only $3 higher than from the "wrong" one from Yamaha

Hope this helps,

Rusty

Last edited:
I dug through yamahas parts finder and matched up the part #

It is a 1995 FZR600 which runs a 110/70-17 on the front.

But like I said, the hole's too small.

I also looked up the Boxenstopp one and it's $55 and IS intended for a 17" wheel/tire combo.

Rusty

I dug through yamahas parts finder and matched up the part #

It is a 1995 FZR600 which runs a 110/70-17 on the front.

But like I said, the hole's too small.

I also looked up the Boxenstopp one and it's $55 and IS intended for a 17" wheel/tire combo.

Rusty

Wow thanks for all the work! It's hard to believe that that tire size is closer to what I have then the stocker is... Not that I don't believe you.

Wow thanks for all the work! It's hard to believe that that tire size is closer to what I have then the stocker is... Not that I don't believe you.

Don't feel to appreciative, I was on overtime sitting on my ass at work :)

I can't remember exactly but at one time I ran "general" tire specs, comparing circumferences on stock, 120/70-18 and 110/70-17 and it seems it was closer than the stock gear drive.

Where's fireturd when we need him? he was good at this stuff:surprise:

I've double checked mine a few times against the nile marker on the freeways here in texas when riding from houston to dallas or san antonio and it's within about 2% now.

As a double check maybe y'al can compare to this,

At 5000rpm I'm showing 78-80 mph now;

How does that compare to stock?

Later,

Rusty

I felt it once when passing a car on a winding country road at about 80, but I just kept powering through. It was here and gone so fast I barely registered it, to be honest. My Husky has a tendency to wobble a bit if you are really banging shifts. It pulls up the front end on every shift and that can set up an oscillation. It is so light though that I just ride through it.

Mike

Back