Death Wobble for me too...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon6.0

Reaction score
Leaving work today and I decide to zoom past my buddy in his Honda Civic. I was doing about a buck fifteen and going back into the correct lane(two lane country road with only us two on it). Then she decided to do the shimmy shimmy shake from going over the lines at that speed. I just rode her out and stayed in the gas. She sorted herself out pretty quick. That suspension sure didn't like going over that bump though. At least after telling the wife what happened she is all for me modding the suspension. I called my buddy after I got home and he said it looked pretty insane how much it wobbled. I guess I'm used to it after riding a GS1100E that would flex like crazy. I even had Works shocks and fork springs in it.

Happened to me on the way home from buying it.
I passed Sweetums on a long 2 lane on ramp at about :ummm: 100 mph, shifted and hit a big expansion joint at the same time; I thought I was back in 78 on my XS11.
I'm thinking "surly Yamaha fixed that hinge in the middle in 30 years" then I thought " UH this may be an 05 but it's really not that much newer than the XS"

After searching I was hopping all I need to do was adjust the head bearing. OH WELL its only money and I like working on this thing almost as much as ridding it.

albran

I had that happen once on my old max - didn't take long to do the mods to fix it - on my 2006 max - I did all the upgrades before even riding it - safer that way

Mike

Tighten the the head bearing till it's tight enough that it gets a low speed weave (25-40mph) due to being so tight that it is unable to "self correct" itself.

Once you've found that point back it off a little bit at a time till the low speed weave goes away and it starts self correcting again.

After that tighten everything else down on top of it inlcuding the very top triple tree acorn nut.

I've had that top nut all by itself make a difference even though the bearing tension nuts were set right.

This setting has worked wonders for my bike even though in reality it's most likely too tight by the book.

Rusty

Tighten the the head bearing till it's tight enough that it gets a low speed weave (25-40mph) due to being so tight that it is unable to "self correct" itself.

Once you've found that point back it off a little bit at a time till the low speed weave goes away and it starts self correcting again.

After that tighten everything else down on top of it inlcuding the very top triple tree acorn nut.

I've had that top nut all by itself make a difference even though the bearing tension nuts were set right.

This setting has worked wonders for my bike even though in reality it's most likely too tight by the book.

Rusty

I put a small sharpie mark on the top nut,then watched as it seemed to keep getting looser all the time.Finally I blue loctited mine and it has never moved again.
I like Rusty prefer mine a little on the tight side.I'd take a little low speed wobble anyday over a high speed tank slapper.

I put a small sharpie mark on the top nut,then watched as it seemed to keep getting looser all the time.Finally I blue loctited mine and it has never moved again.
I like Rusty prefer mine a little on the tight side.I'd take a little low speed wobble anyday over a high speed tank slapper.

I agree, I don't know if I ever shared it with y'all but I went down at 140mph on my old V65 Magna due to a typical mild/medium headshake that I was used to.

I was dealing with the headshake when some very mild bumps in the road sent it into a full blow "lock-to- lock" tank slapper.

I knew before I hit the ground I was gonna die but God had different ideas.

I spent 3 weeks in the hospital for road rash alone, basically like 3rd degree burns over a large portion of my body.

Unbelievably I didn't break anything but My Motorcycle.

Moral is to never get complacent about "riding thru" or "up to" a weave you think you can handle, a weaving, headshaking bike is just one little tiny external influence away from a full blown tank slapper which will usually kill you.

Rusty

Last edited:
every bike i owned except the harley....under exstream conditions had a little wobble once in a while...at high speeds...seating position along with its just natural..you will see more wobbles during a road race or daytona....its the after market trap..every bike will wobble from time to time ...you said you rode it out and stayed on the gas...now thats riding

I've got my bike so tight that it doesn't give me that little head shake anymore. It's all about stiffening the frame and forks up. Radials don't hurt either...:biglaugh:

i always found stiff at high speeds always felt to jumpy where a small bump can set it off come on mass vmax riders lets ride the highway jet kits and pipes against stock

i always found stiff at high speeds always felt to jumpy where a small bump can set it off come on mass vmax riders lets ride the highway jet kits and pipes against stock

LOL well yeah I guess a hard tail might be that way... Mine is setup correctly... Not to 1985 specs.:whistlin:

The death wobble, hmm memories of that when I first got my VMAX the worst was at 130. I have had the full tank slapper at around 65, I have always been lucky with nailing the gas to get out of a wobble slowing down makes it worse.
Ever since I strapped my front end down tight I havent had the wobble of death. I think my head bearings may be loose I here a clank clank noise when I hit bumps.:confused2: I should check em :icon_rolleyes: but I am scared to mess with it and than find myself in another high speed wobble. :worthy:

Lankee, that clank could be your top triple tree. Check the torque of the top head nut. I had the same problem last summer.

Mark

Lankee, that clank could be your top triple tree. Check the torque of the top head nut. I had the same problem last summer.

Mark

Yeah its a real clanking sound, not a solid thunk but more like a clank clank:bang head::bang head:, if that makes sense. I almost feel like I should be on the old Midas commercial when the people were trying to describe the noises LOL!!:rofl_200:
I will check the hardware this weekend, like I said it isnt effecting anything just that noise makes it sound like CHIT! Thanks for the advice mark :clapping:

I finally found out what no wobble REALLY feels like.

This weekend on our Bandera run while on Texas Highway 41 I took my '99 Max up to an all time high of 145mph indicated, it was a freakin' rush, a little scary but not terrifying.
The bike felt good for a Max, no weave no wobble, but maybe feeling a little "light" in the front, and of course the wind noise and turbulence was horrible.

The next time I went through there later in the day I was on a friends Kawasaki ZX14. He trusts me alot obviously.

I took it all the way to 180+ indicated and it might as well have been sitting on the center stand as stable as it was. And noise level was low too. I am truly impressed and now understand how truly unsuited the Vmax is for high speed runs.

Rusty

I finally found out what no wobble REALLY feels like.

This weekend on our Bandera run while on Texas Highway 41 I took my '99 Max up to an all time high of 145mph indicated, it was a freakin' rush, a little scary but not terrifying.
The bike felt good for a Max, no weave no wobble, but maybe feeling a little "light" in the front, and of course the wind noise and turbulence was horrible.

The next time I went through there later in the day I was on a friends Kawasaki ZX14. He trusts me alot obviously.

I took it all the way to 180+ indicated and it might as well have been sitting on the center stand as stable as it was. And noise level was low too. I am truly impressed and now understand how truly unsuited the Vmax is for high speed runs.

Rusty

I agree Rusty the VMAX wasnt built for top speed runs out in the Salt Flats.
I have had my VMAX pegged and still climbing after the 155 mark on NOS. I dont know how fast it was but I have been 175+ in the 1/4 mile on top gas bikes and its a smooth ride compared to the VMAX.
I am comfortable on my VMAX till about 135 and than it turns into white knuckles.

I found my speedo was off by about 10-12MPH. The speedo read 145 and GPS read 133 I believe. I am running a 120/70/18 front tire though.

Not at all stock... Still a great cruiser though.:thumbs up:
Gasem i like the strips on the tank is that a stock tank from another year...id rather the strips then the flames

Back