Degreeing cams?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything in a search, how do you guys degree the cams (with a degree wheel) with slotted sprockets? Gonna be doing one eventually and just wanted to get the process down. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

You'll need the wheel and the slotted sprockets. Won't be a lot of difference if you don't deck the heads

PCW does the slotted sprockets. I think they come even on the base Tourmaster package.

I didn't do them on my build.

When you buy the cams do they come with opening and closing events for all four cams? I know I'd need to find true tdc on both 1 and 2 with a piston stop and I'd assume make a pointer to correspond to the tdc marks... I was just curious on if the cams come with that info I guess, Rusty I'm pretty sure the only way to adjust cam timing would be slotted sprockets.. I've always degreed cams on V8's but never done a motorcycle engine but I'd assume its pretty much the same process but you'd need tdc on both 1 and 2 and check opening and closing events on each cam...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

They should come with the paperwork. If not megacycle has them posted on thier Pdf catalog. It's the very last page.

PCW has ""some" info posted for thiers as well, although lobe center info isn't listed.

If you cant find what you need I can scan my slip and send it to you.

For the most part I'm guessing PCW gets thier cams from Megacycle, although perhaps some of PCW's grinds are PCW custom grinds because the two websites don't match exactly.

PCW's 03, 05, 06, 07 Cams are not on Megacycle's site, But the 01, 02, and 04 cams are listed on Megacycles site but use a different part number than the format PCW uses.

But my 03 cams did come in a Megacycle package.

Sean could probably clear this up.

I got mine from Megacycle, through Sean, and got a better price on them that way (even with Sean getting a cut) than buying them direct from Megacycle. One of the four had some PCW markings and part #'s on it so I think these cores must get around a little bit.

I checked them and the base circle, lobe length and lift all measured out the same at least. I wouldn't have a clue how to check the duraction and separation angles with loose cams.

Is it worth degreeing stock cams? I am thinking of doing it because of putting vmax heads on a venture block.

Is it worth degreeing stock cams? I am thinking of doing it because of putting vmax heads on a venture block.

Can't see a huge benefit unless your heads or block has been milled, unless you go to slotted sprockets on the cams you won't be able to adjust the cam timing anyway. I was asking this originally because I bought a used 1500 that has 03 cams and slotted sprockets and I want to make sure everything is right.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

The ported and polished heads that I am putting on the venture block don't have cams on them but come with slotted sprockets. Stock cams prob aren't worth the effort.

Back