Different Cans

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGMO

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the UFO 4-2 pipe. I was wondering if I could swap cans with any manufacturer cans that will fit the diameter of my pipes. Or are the Vmax exhaust cans (HMF , Marks, UFO etc.) specialized for the Vmax. Noting I do not know alot about exhaust systems. I was just wondering If I could try different cans on my exhaust, or if i did would there be some kind of back pressure issue.
Just for a quick example: Could I use ZZR12 Cans and get good HP/ Tq numbers. Im just wanting to try different cans and I see the Vmax cans are expensive on these systems but I can get Cans from aftermarket sport bikes cheaper.

As long as it will fit over the mid-pipe and clamp on you should be laughing. Beings that most, if not all, of the aftermarket sportbike cans come with a strap to bolt them to a hanger for the can you will be in good shape. With my Hindle system I use a Laser Stealth can which attaches directly to the mid-pipe with no issues.

Jim thats good to hear. My cans sound awesome (nit too loud for me) but they are the old style so they are about 10 years old or so. The finish isnt as nice as I would like, plus I just want to change the looks a bit. Also I might try to polish the aluminum finish on the ones I have I might be able to get em back to luster.
Good to know the hangers are interchangeable, and it wont effect performance to change out cans. Thanks again for the info.

I couldnt tell you who made the 4 into 1 pipes on my bike, but it has a 4" D&D muffler on it and seems to be fine....plus it sounds killer.

Wire

i was just looking for an exhaust for a friends of mine on ebay gor his gsxr k5 1000, and found this. that kind of exhaust i had in mind (love the shape) to put on my max with marks headers (i hope this year i will be able to buy). cant find any details though..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GP-S...1837653QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
The great thing about having Mark build you a exhaust is that he normally builds that exhaust once you order it. He has no problem working with other style cans/ mid pipes and will build yours to fit the Vmax. If I had a unusual can design I would send it right to Mark so he could taylor the headers to mate up with the mid pipe/ cans.

:rocket bike:
Jim thats good to hear. My cans sound awesome (nit too loud for me) but they are the old style so they are about 10 years old or so. The finish isnt as nice as I would like, plus I just want to change the looks a bit. Good to know the hangers are interchangeable, and it wont effect performance to change out cans. Thanks again for the info.

If you want a different look you could always slap on some 'ricer' mufflers

http://www.mufflermall.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103

or you could have your existing can shells ceramic coated to a different color.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

I think that the cans are steel and probably would be a huge undertaking to polish them and it would never look like polished aluminum.

Be careful on the ricer mufflers. The outer diameter may have them hitting the shocks. We used a set of R3Racing mufflers that sound incredible and required some custom support brackets. Pics are seen on our facebook site and on here in the Muscle Vmax's for sale.

Sean

Latest posts

Back