Disc Brake question (car)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasondon

Reaction score
I am stumped with the rear disk brake on my 03 G35, hoping someone here might be able to help.

The rear brake makes a clicking noise when the brake is applied. If I brake hard enough, it stops.

I took the brake apart, pads are fine, caliper appears to be fine, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I put it back together to do some more research, and it stopped for a couple of days, and is back to making the same noise.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?? Seems odd that I take the pads off to inspect, re-instal and it temporarily stops.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

jason

It would help if you could either record or describe that clicking noise a little better..

I would be looking at the ABS parts myself, there usually is a wheel with teeth for the detection of rotation, and if something was loose or touching these teeth that could possibly create a cliking noise?

I first noticed it in a drive through getting a coffee, it kind of echoed against the wall of the building...you cant really notice it unless the window is rolled down.

It ticks/clicks faster the faster I am driving, and slows down but will continue right to a stop if the brakes are applied (normal pressure).

Does that make sense? Trying to not sound like a chic explaining a "weird noise" to her mechanic, that is the best I can do, haha.

Sounds like the pads are shifting under braking. They likely make a click noise as you let off too. If you check the pads to see how tight they are front to back they are probably narrower then the guide cut into the caliper. This is normal but can be annoying. Due to manufacturing tolerances they can't make them fit perfect each time. It can sometimes be alleviated by tweaking the tabs to keep the pad more snugly in place.

Sean Morley

Thanks Sean. That sounds reasonable, but it doesnt just click once when the brakes are applied, it continues to click all the way until stopped, from a fairly quick click to slow until stopped.

Perhaps it is the shims?

Negative...I will jack it up and get someone to apply the breaks. Not sure I will find anything but it cant hurt - thanks!

it may be the runout of the rotor. have the rotors machined with a on-car brake lathe [i know ford dealers have them] this will machine it so it is even and even machine out any hub runout too.

Hmm not sure exactly what you mean, but I have not had the rotor machined. From the people I have talked to, they said buy a new rotor if it is warped, machining one that is warped is only a bandaid and it will warp again.

I considered the fact that the rotor may be warped, but why once I put it back together did it stop for a couple days?

Aside from this I park the car, grab the helmet and head out on the vmax, that seems to help, but only a temporary fix :biglaugh:

it is not the rotor making the noise it is the caliper moving back and forth on its bracket the rotor may not even be warped that much but the total runout may be too much. machining a rotor is perfectly fine as long as it is thick enough. the idea of machining it on the car is you machine out all of the stack up [tolerances] run out for the hub and the rotor making the surface completely parallel. the reason it stopped is you moved the caliper around, probably moving any lube it hadaround and it stopped until it wore thru it again

Last edited:
How are your wheel bearings???

Is there anything on the back side of the brake....like a dust shield...that might be contacting something???

Are you sure it is not in the wheel??? Or the hubcap or tire???

Is there something caught between the caliper and the rotor/caliper pin/retaining bolt??

Most rotors are not solid......those gaps around the outer diameter can act like a card in bicycle spokes if something gets in contact...or inside them.....

Lots of things can cause what you describe:confused2:

Good luck....keep looking you will find it.....:punk:

One of the tricks we used to do back in the day.......on rear wheel drive vehicles......was to put a zip tie on the drive shaft so that the "tail" sticking off the zip tie would hit the tunnel under the rear floor board of the vehicle.....

It would drive people NUTS and create exactly the noise you describe:biglaugh:

$0.02 deposited

Sometimes micro-grooves in the rotor will catch the pad & , like a screw , will push the pad against the caliper. On a heavy application the pressure is too great & the pad is held firm, so it then stops clicking. I use Permatex Disc Brake Quiet (part number 80077) on the rear of the pad. It sort of "glues" the pad in place so that it can't chuck around & make noise.

it is not the rotor making the noise it is the caliper moving back and forth on its bracket the rotor may not even be warped that much but the total runout may be too much. machining a rotor is perfectly fine as long as it is thick enough. the idea of machining it on the car is you machine out all of the stack up [tolerances] run out for the hub and the rotor making the surface completely parallel. the reason it stopped is you moved the caliper around, probably moving any lube it hadaround and it stopped until it wore thru it again

I think you guys are onto something with it being the caliper, not the rotor (causing the noise) I dont think I will be able to get the rotor machined on the car, but I can def get it done at a shop (as long as there is adequate clearance).

I dont the the brake lubricant will fix it, or not for long, but it is probably a good idea to put some back on.

I will see if I can get the rotor turned, grab some of that brake grease and report back.

Thanks for your post's, I appreciate it.

Well took care of business first, got some things done on the bike and went for a great ride yesterday - to hell with the car till Sunday.

I decided to take both rear rotors in to be turned. When I got to the part store the guy said there was not enough clearance to be turned, and I needed new ones (I watched him do it to make sure he wasnt full of shit :biglaugh:) Bought 2 new rotors and some brake grease, got it all back together. The click is gone and actually the brakes feel a lot better. I have never heard of brakes "clicking" when the rotors are toast, but anyways, lesson learned (so long as the click doesnt return, but I think it is taken care of).

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

Latest posts

Back