Dyno/Carb Tuning in MA/NY

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hey all.

looking at getting an exhaust and jet kit and will probably attempt to do it all myself but may want a spot with a dyno to dial it in perfect. I have three places i'll probably be calling (and maybe a 4th, but its a hike) and wanted to know if anyone has heard of them.

Harry's Machined Parts -> where the local yama dealer takes their stuff to get dyno'd
15 Belmont St
Northborough, MA 01532

Out of Control Racing
Model 168 /188
859 West Boylston street
Worcester 01606
Tel. 508-853-3363

PCW Racing
112 Henry St
Schenectady, NY 12304
(518) 346-7203

LCR Performance out of Rochester, NY. These guys come recommended by Chris Hansen, but its a bit of a hike...

still trying to decide what level of install/tuning i want to pay for or do myself, but with all the current things i've seen, i'll probably try myself to make sure its done right, maybe use one of these guys to either just get the charts and bring the results here or let them do the fine tuning.

anyways like i said anyone have comments either way let me know..

tia

PCW does great work. They did my engine and dyno pulls once it was built. Call and talk to John.

they seem to be a somewhat well known name. i'll see what they have to say. depends on the shop but i may let a shop install the jet kit if they come with good enough references and the price is right.

the thing is if i install and they have to change mains or something to fully tune then it was kind of a pointless for me to take the carbs off at the end of the day!

PCW has installed Seans kit before so they know what it's all about...

They build some great stuff but I heard they can take a while sometimes...

Chris

I would go with PCW only because I know that they have a TON of experience with the vmax.

It would be cool if a few guys could go the same day and rent the dyno. Everyone could help each other out wrenching between pulls and getting it set up for the next one. Plus you could tell PCW that you're doing a write up about it on the best vmax forum on the web and plan to scan all the dyno sheets and let everyone know how it went. Maybe they'd give you a better deal?:confused2:

Danny should be ready to go soon. Those Marks Pipes should be on his bike in a couple weeks!

PCW has installed Seans kit before so they know what it's all about...

They build some great stuff but I heard they can take a while sometimes...

Chris

ok cool, if i went with them installing it i'd probably call and make an appt and bring it maybe early one friday and hopefully they'd have it done for fri night or saturday....

I would go with PCW only because I know that they have a TON of experience with the vmax.

It would be cool if a few guys could go the same day and rent the dyno. Everyone could help each other out wrenching between pulls and getting it set up for the next one. Plus you could tell PCW that you're doing a write up about it on the best vmax forum on the web and plan to scan all the dyno sheets and let everyone know how it went. Maybe they'd give you a better deal?:confused2:

Danny should be ready to go soon. Those Marks Pipes should be on his bike in a couple weeks!

not another bad point.. if danny's up for it maybe we could get a deal if we both go in.. altho i'd probably want them to tune it a bit more than him, i don't believe he's jetting it just yet.

talked tp PCW, they said probably 3 - 4 hrs worth of labor when i bring in the jet to install from scratch....

it would probably a lot less if they were just fine tuning, but i gotta imagine the bulk of it would be getting to the main jets, and if i have those all set prior to going in that would save me some $$, but at the same time they may have to change them anyways eh?

My plan is to initially put the pipes on, shim the needles a mm or so, set the A/F screws and do a couple runs down the Taconic to see how she goes power & mileage wise.

If the mileage is good and no problem areas show up in testing then I'll prolly leave it alone for now.

But I'd always be up for a 'tag-a-long' trip to PCW, just to observe! :worthy:

danny

My plan is to initially put the pipes on, shim the needles a mm or so, set the A/F screws and do a couple runs down the Taconic to see how she goes power & mileage wise.

If the mileage is good and no problem areas show up in testing then I'll prolly leave it alone for now.

But I'd always be up for a 'tag-a-long' trip to PCW, just to observe! :worthy:

danny

cool danny i'll let ya know. probably mid-july or something. we'll see once all the goodies arrive and i can pay for them...

i'd be good company. and u know then we'd have to see how they ran up and down the taconic!

PCW is still an optino but i jus tfound a motorcycle machien shop out this way. he builds drag bikes and has been doing it since about 74 he said. he has a dyno and said he could install the jet kit and tune it for $325. Little cheaper than PCW.

Tossing that idea around too. he was familiar with the max and had done a stage 7 a while back he said and actually recommended me getting one until i told him i had morleys which some consider a stage 4/5 as it has more midrange torque and can sometimes compete with the high end HP of a stage 7.

now for those of u guys technically inclined he said he likes to keep the a/f on a carbed bike between 13.21 and 13.51 . does that sound right? i don't even know.

I've heard 12.75-13.25 but think what he does should be fine.

hmm thanks mark.

i just talked to a guy here who has a the custom fz1n. he had this guy finish up a job that another shop did a couple years back on a zx7 (or 9 i forget) as the original shop didnt' have a dyno. said he did a good job

this shop is also on the dynojet's recommended places list..

http://www.dynojet.com/maps/bikedynos/ma.htm

Back