ECU Unleashed Re-Flash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer

Reaction score
The flash for the Gen 2 is finally ready. Great throttle response. Very smooth. Here are the changes:

* 4% Power Increased
* Remove Factory Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration
* Eliminate Factory ?Error codes? (ex. exhaust valve)
* Improved Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Remove Closed Loop Routine For Use of AutoTune Air/Fuel Modules
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Custom Modification Accommodations (Exhaust, tuning, Internal Engine)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

$450.00 is the cost. It's a lot of money for a few lines of hacked code, but it's worth it.

There has been a lot of raving about this reflash by a few people. I sent in my unit to get re-flashed and paid $550 up front, the actual charge at the time. He deposited the money the next day and made little effort on my re-flash. After two weeks of waiting and two e-mails that were NEVER answered, I told another member that I was going to bring this up on the forum since I received no answer on where or what the status of my ECU was. This member contacted the "RE-FLASHER" and I received the unit within two days.

I have a 4-2 mid-pipe, the reason for the reflash in the first place. I have not noticed any power increase, smoother accelleration or any other mumbo jumbo that this was supposed to deliver. Not saying things aren't different but not so as you can notice it from the seat of the pants or worth $500. Also there are no dyno charts to show any increase in power. Go figure.

SOOOOOO, if your Gen II performs good, think before you fork out the big $$$ because I'm not sure you will be getting your moneys worth. Too much hype and not enough substance? No sour grapes, just someone telling it from another point of view and a different experience.

Different vendor. I have dynos that show a performance increase of 7 rwhp. Plus the bog is removed. The way I look at it is the re-flash does what the race ECU does. It's cheaper as well. Anything else it adds is a bonus.

Hammer, please send me the dyno sheets you have, or perhaps post them up here for all to view. I really do need to decide what to do with the wife's genII over the winter months - either more play time with the PC5, or a total reflash from someone.

Thanks.

Here's before and after.
Scan_Pic0001-1.jpg

Here's a close up of the bog. As you can see it's gone. From what I understand, the race ECU does not eliminate the bog.
diff.jpg

Between a race ECU and re-flashing, I think that re-flashing your ECU is the way to go. Both ECU Unleashed and Tim Nash's flashes remove the bog, speed limiter while increasing throttle response and performance. Based on my dealings with ECU Unleashed and the pain it took to get the flash to what it is today, if I had to do it again, I would go with Tim's flash.

Hammer, them's some nice #'s.

Are you turning a 240 tire/wheel combo, or factory size? What, if any, other mods do you have on your bike.

This bike (gotta keep reminding myself it's the wife's bike...it's the wife's bike lol) has an x-pipe (I think), 4 into 2, with gunnrunner jet exhaust cans, bigair kit & K&N's, and also already has the race ECU installed, and the 240 rear tire.

It'd be great to see it get up into the 190hp range.

Hammer, them's some nice #'s.

Are you turning a 240 tire/wheel combo, or factory size? What, if any, other mods do you have on your bike.

This bike (gotta keep reminding myself it's the wife's bike...it's the wife's bike lol) has an x-pipe (I think), 4 into 2, with gunnrunner jet exhaust cans, bigair kit & K&N's, and also already has the race ECU installed, and the 240 rear tire.

It'd be great to see it get up into the 190hp range.

That 240 of yours/hers is eating up a good 8-10 rwhp. I have a stock 200, Akro mid pipe with stock cans, modded air box w/K&N and DD clutch. Keep in mind that I posted STD. It's about 185 RWHP SAE.

That 240 of yours/hers is eating up a good 8-10 rwhp. I have a stock 200, Akro mid pipe with stock cans, modded air box w/K&N and DD clutch. Keep in mind that I posted STD. It's about 185 RWHP SAE.

I hate to derail the topic, but I have to ask about the 240 tire comment.

I haven't paid much attention to Gen II mods. Is that a tested and documented remark about the 240 conversion eating up 8-10 rwhp?

G Man

I hate to derail the topic, but I have to ask about the 240 tire comment.

I haven't paid much attention to Gen II mods. Is that a tested and documented remark about the 240 conversion eating up 8-10 rwhp?

G Man

I have heard this from a couple of different, reliable sources.

why? just weight addition seems like a lot of power loss?

This is more then sure "then wider tyre then more losess".
Imagine Ford Fiesta running 205 tyres from factory?
Friction gents, friction.

I was always against fat tyres on motorcycles - the most expensive way to lose handling abilities!

I would think a Re-Flash on a Gen-2 under warranty would void that very important item.

Also I am surprised that owners are not satisfied with the stock size tire on either Generation VMAX.

I also always assumed that the larger tire would cut down on handling and performance.

O

I would think a Re-Flash on a Gen-2 under warranty would void that very important item.

Also I am surprised that owners are not satisfied with the stock size tire on either Generation VMAX.

I also always assumed that the larger tire would cut down on handling and performance.

O

I think most have gone to the 240 because of the look. It really suits the bike better than the std 200. I switched because the stock size tire just would not hook up on the street. The TQ over powers the rear tire in the first 3 gears. When Continental came out with their "Race Attack" series of tires and a 240/18 was available, I decided to switch to a 240 wheel/Conti combination. Amazing grip but ridiculously short life (3000 miles).
A 240 tire will definitely make the bike steer a bit slower......some are worse than others. I can still go around turns as fast as I could with the stock size, but it's more work.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 84
I had heard that the 240 tire would cost around 5-7hp.

She does like her bike,and that's all that counts - I guess. She sure won't be carving up the corners too intensely (any time soon), so the handling won't be a factor for her. And after a lot of time getting to know the PowerCommander 5 better, the bike is smooth in all gears throughout the power band, so she is good to go.

Darn bike seems to burn so rich all the time, it'd be interesting to see what kind of mileage gains could be gotten with a flash, in addtion to all the other obvious benefits of having it done. No warranty left on this bike, so that's not a factor.

Attachments

• SANY1193.jpg
    SANY1193.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 16
  • SANY1207.jpg
    SANY1207.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 16
  • shala's pictures 002.JPG
    shala's pictures 002.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 17
It's just a lot of talk. I haven't seen any dyno numbers from anybody that shows any reduction in power from a 240. Granted, there probably is some but nothing like 7hp. Tire does not weigh that much more than a 200 and the contact area is just a fraction larger. Definitely nothing you can feel by the seat of the pants and don't know of anybody showing before and after dyno #'s.

On the re-flash thing, I have the 1.5 version and the mileage is the same as before, 90 miles (give or take a couple) with two up before the light comes on.

Handling with the 240 is not much different. You need better handling?, get a sport bike that weighs 200 lbs. less. Like was said before, the 240 just fits the bike much better in looks without sacrificing much of anything worth arguing about. Just tell the little woman that the little extra weigh in back warrants the 240. :biglaugh:

Back