EFI conversion on a Gen-1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is awesome!
Is it just me or does it sound different?

Would it be possible to get the 3D files for the custom manifolds?
I could use them to do something different for my bike.

Hi!

It`s been a while because I`ve just been riding it and not doing much modifications :). After some more fine-tuning, this is the final map I`m currently using. It is a bit different compared to the one I shared before because it uses the MAP sensor in a slightly different way:

1659211188129.png

Acceleration enrichment is also done and looks like this:
1659211306667.png

The acceleration enrichment adds fuel load when the throttle is quickly openend. This is measured in percent per second. So 100 means opening the throttle from 0 to 100% in one second. It can very quickly spot TPS changes and reacts instantly. So if I open the throttle it provides _instant_ power, which is very addictive :).

I do not expect to add many updates to this topic during the summer but might pick it up again during the winter. It`s been fun!

It would be interesting to see the output from a dyno run to compare torque and power output with a carburated Max.
That`s still on my todo list. The question I then have is how to compare it with another max. Mine is running a 17 inch rear wheel and the full Venture Royale gearbox (supplied by Sean), so how would you compare the different gearing to a 'stock' max?

Also, fuel would not be the same. The best I can get here is a 98 octane with 5% ethanol. How would that compare to US fuel?

Thanks!

Anything that high in octane # you would have to buy from a supplier not available at your USA corner mini-mart/gas station. 93 octane ('premium') is probably the highest commonly-available fuel at nearly any USA gas station. You can get no ethanol fuel, but you pay for it. The typical octane ratings are 87, 89 or 91, and 93. The 87 octane is 'regular.' The VMax is designed to operate on 'regular.'

Our traditional blended gasoline is 10% ethanol. E85 is just what it sounds like, rated for 51-83% ethanol content. Vehicles using this are labelled as 'flex-fuel' compliant. They can operate on traditional no-ethanol, up-to 10% ethanol content, or the E85 mostly-ethanol blend.
https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_e85.html
RampageR1 said:
"Mine is running a 17 inch rear wheel and the full Venture Royale gearbox (supplied by Sean), so how would you compare the different gearing to a 'stock' max?"

As I recall, the 17" rear wheel because of its considerably smaller diameter, acts like a final drive gearing reduction (higher numerically) which costs you top-end, but how-often are you doing those speeds, if you value your driving privileges? I expect the Venture Royale has a final drive gearing increase (lower numerically) because of its 'mission' as a touring rig, and its lower redline (7,000 rpm for the 1300). If you want specifics on ratios:
https://yamahaventure.nl/pdf/servicemanualxvz1300.pdf

Last edited:
That`s still on my todo list. The question I then have is how to compare it with another max. Mine is running a 17 inch rear wheel and the full Venture Royale gearbox (supplied by Sean), so how would you compare the different gearing to a 'stock' max?

Also, fuel would not be the same. The best I can get here is a 98 octane with 5% ethanol. How would that compare to US fuel?

Thanks!
Every bike will be different, output will also differ depending on the weather and every dyno will be different.
How big the differences are would be a moot point but it would still give a benchmark for you.
It would allow you to see what difference any changes that you make have had.

Probably the best method is to use the same dyno for the runs, as you're then eliminating differences between machines. There are threads on here about the Dynojet dyno if you want to search for them. I know Sean's posted about the Dynojet dynamometer.

One interesting fact about the Dynojet dynamometer is that the Gen 1 VMax was used as a benchmark for the setup when it was being developed.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/dynojet-chassis-dyno/
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/dynojet.pdf Page 6 of the .pdf has content congruent with the prior link.

Okay all you EFI guys.......was the conversion really worth it or not much difference than a carbs? I would like to make the conversion, however with that price tag, it's really gotta be worth it.

Okay all you EFI guys.......was the conversion really worth it or not much difference than a carbs? I would like to make the conversion, however with that price tag, it's really gotta be worth it.
If it`s worth it is a very personal question to answer. It`s like asking someone if a Barnett Clutch is worth the money or the full Venture Royale gearbox. For some it will be, for others it won't. Personally I loved doing it and learned a _lot_ about fabricating, programming, electronics, Fusion360 and a bunch more. So yes I think it`s worth it. Like mentioned E10 is cool, furthermore I really like the _instant_ power it creates and better fuel economy. It`s not going to be a night-and-day difference though so if you are looking for that, indeed buy a Gen-2 :D

EOkay all you EFI guys.......was the conversion really worth it or not much difference than a carbs? I would like to make the conversion, however with that price tag, it's really gotta be worth it.

Define how you measure if it's worth it.
Efi gives better control of fuel mixture and better tunability. Also you would never have to worry about cleaning the pilot jets after lay up - which would be my reason (I've fitted a fuel pump cut off switch that will allow me to drain the fuel bowls prior to storage, an improvement over last year when I drained all carbs using the drain screws and carbs were fine). I could do most of this but the incentive isn't there for me. Don't underestimate the time and skill to do this, and potential to destroy the engine.

Define how you measure if it's worth it.
Efi gives better control of fuel mixture and better tunability. Also you would never have to worry about cleaning the pilot jets after lay up - which would be my reason (I've fitted a fuel pump cut off switch that will allow me to drain the fuel bowls prior to storage, an improvement over last year when I drained all carbs using the drain screws and carbs were fine). I could do most of this but the incentive isn't there for me. Don't underestimate the time and skill to do this, and potential to destroy the engine.
Sure, a factory designed, mass produced EFI give's "control of fuel and better tunability" but you won't be taking this EFI set up as cool as it is to just any tuner with a dyno and this map. As RampageR1 stated this would require a tuner with mad skills LOL.
About that storage issue. I have owned my Max since 2012 and have never drained the bowls or the tank for storage or any extended down time.
I have to park it for the winter months but only for a few weeks at a time, if that, because I look for any break I can get in the weather to start and ride her, if just to get to temp then take back to the garage, coldest was 26 degrees. That said, I have Always kept the tank full and without fail a 1 ounce dose of Stabil 360 and never a night without the battery maintainer. Same Shorai since 2015!!
I have never had any issue with clogged pilots or mains.
When I start it she gives a viscous bark to life out of that Kerker to a high idle on choke.
The Stabil protects the whole fuel system from ethanol, especially in our Colorado winter blend gas.
Oh and I'm sure I'm not the first to say , RampageR1 is a GENIUS!

Gent

Interesting stuff here. I've done the same to various cars, some with forced induction and some NA.

One thing that caught my eye, "full Venture Royale gearbox". Share some light?

The Venture gives more-relaxed top-gear cruising. Unless you have some power-adder, you won't be able to pull close-to redline, plus with a standard seating position, you will be drag limited.

Are we talking about a transmission gearset? All gears different or just the fifth? What are the ratios?

Last edited:
Are we talking about a transmission gearset? All gears different or just the fifth? What are the ratios?
Yes, both sets. I think I got these from Sean. They are undercut, first through fourth feel like stock but fifth feels like an O.D.
I also have the Venture Royal final drive along with the wide wheel offset gears set big to small for really tall gearing. If you hunker down on the faux tank it'll go as fast as you dare to go (scary) on this bike.

Attachments

• 20170118_205628.jpg
    20170118_205628.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170226_152545.jpg
    20170226_152545.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170118_195807.jpg
    20170118_195807.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 0
Back