Engine guards/Crashbar Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax06

Reaction score
I recently purchased some well needed crashbars for the bike... and goddamn i swear, the installment is not as easy as it seemed.

To start off, the crashbars are standard steel ones from ebay, the ones that mount on 3 bolts.... Well the bottom 2 bolts were easy to take out. Its the top one im having great difficulty wrenching out. I mean its actually holding the 2 piece frame together.... I managed to barely turn a little bit... Not even a full turn.... I mean its so goddamn tight that i think its not mean to be taken out.

It looks like it needs to be taken out, according to the bolt pattern on the crash bar...

So right now i kinda paused on that, and started writing this thread.

I recently purchased some well needed crashbars for the bike... and goddamn i swear, the installment is not as easy as it seemed.

To start off, the crashbars are standard steel ones from ebay, the ones that mount on 3 bolts.... Well the bottom 2 bolts were easy to take out. Its the top one im having great difficulty wrenching out. I mean its actually holding the 2 piece frame together.... I managed to barely turn a little bit... Not even a full turn.... I mean its so goddamn tight that i think its not mean to be taken out.

It looks like it needs to be taken out, according to the bolt pattern on the crash bar...

So right now i kinda paused on that, and started writing this thread.

Well sometimes the simple things just arent that simple . :bang head:

I mean damn, i really thought it was a walk in a park thats why i kinda procrastinated on it :rofl_200:

As mine took a hiding when i got blown off the road i contacted these guys via ebay and was redirected to their site in Australia . It was gonna cost be $100 more to get from there as to import from the states . :bang head:

Would think it would be a walk in the park tho i havent tried to take mine off yet .

As mine took a hiding when i got blown off the road i contacted these guys via ebay and was redirected to their site in Australia . It was gonna cost be $100 more to get from there as to import from the states . :bang head:

Would think it would be a walk in the park tho i havent tried to take mine off yet .

I think power tools would be required... I have tried the last top one with a standard wrench and lemme tell you, i have put my 180lbs on that bolt and managed to move it half a turn. Its doable, but you can quickly wear yourself out. I was wrenching counter clockwise... to the left in other words...

Oh well, my last resort is giving up and leaving it up to the pros in a local bike shop...

I think power tools would be required... I have tried the last top one with a standard wrench and lemme tell you, i have put my 180lbs on that bolt and managed to move it half a turn. Its doable, but you can quickly wear yourself out. I was wrenching counter clockwise... to the left in other words...

Oh well, my last resort is giving up and leaving it up to the pros in a local bike shop...

Did you put them on ? Maybe theres locktite involved there somewhere .:ummm:

I recently took mine off. A couple of those bolts were seriously rusted in. Get yourself a breaker bar and go for it.

Only thing is ... you break that head off a bolt that's rusted in or glued in with lock-tight and you are gonna have some serious drilling to do, and may have to actually re-tap the hole.

But hell, caution to the wind and all, get a breaker bar and twist those little bastards out.

Did you put them on ? Maybe theres locktite involved there somewhere .:ummm:
If there's loctite involved (I don't know) it's worth trying to heat the bolt before loosening. Here at work they use a blue kind of loctite when assembling the punching machines, impossible to release when cold (to avoid the machine slowly falling apart while punching...), but when necessary it's possible to loosen them after heating with a heat gun.

Try some penetrating oil first as it is probably rusted in there. Then apply some heat and it should come out.

Ha! I told you to use a breaker bar. You can also use a large torque wrench. Either way though, one must be very careful not to break the heads off of the bolt given that you now have massive leverage.

i broke 2 ratchet wrenches :bang head: but the job is done... Had to use huge soft gloves not to have bruises on palms :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back