Engine Just Dies

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big E

Reaction score
hey guys i am having an issue where when i disengage throttle with the clutch engaged the motorcycles completely dies. it has done this at every stop light stop sign. does anyone know of a cause for this? or a possible fix?

give us some more exact details. not picturing it for some reason.

basically whats happening is that when i disengage the throttle to yield to traffic or slow down to yield to an hazard. the engine just dies. if i am not on the throttle it simple dies. i played with the clutch lever thinking maybe it was user error due to the fact i have had it parked for 9 months and i have not ridden in almost the same amount of time. i did also replace both of my hand lever recently and i did the spark plugs and wires 6 months ago.

so does it not idle correctly? what does it idle at (RPMs) or does it not? have u tried raising the idle speed?

+1, perhaps tick-over speed is too low. On my '99...before when just warming up it would do this due to being overly rich. Perhaps your air filter is dirty?

Turn idle thumb screw a 1/2 turn counter clockwise and re-try startup. It's on left side inside gap of plastic "H" cover.

Crap i accidentally turned the crab Sync screw instead of that throttle stop screw. also the bike was kicked over on its side 6 months ago by my pissed off younger brother! i almost ripped his face off for that one... i don't know if that fall could be a cause to this effect.

Have you ever sync'd the carbs? If they are way off, the bike will run like crap and could possibly be your non-idle issue. Since you turned the wrong screw you will have to do them now.

Mark,

If your off the bike and facing the left carbs, didn't you mean clockwise on the thumbscrew to increase the RPM... I haven't had much Coffee yet this morning but I think that's right..:ummm:

It's clockwise Spec & Mark. You'd be wanting to turn that screw deeper into it's threaded counterpart to extend the bottom of it into the throttle rest stop more to increase idle RPM.

I'm thinking his carbs may just be due for a peashooter treatment, or perhaps the more invasive shotgun treatment to clean up the idle circuits and then a good re-syncing.

Being dropped on it's side 6 months ago probably doesn't have much to do with dying at idle now.

I bet mark meant most people look down at the screw from the top, in which case it turns c-clockwise, but if you were under the bike looking up (how one normally looks at bolts) yes its clockwise

Thanks Garrett, exactly. I was thinking as I was sitting on the bike.

Thanks Garrett, exactly. I was thinking as I was sitting on the bike.

i got u covered man.

i KNOW you know lefty loosey righty tighty. all these haters thinking u were confused. haha

i got u covered man.

i KNOW you know lefty loosey righty tighty. all these haters thinking u were confused. haha

I knowed he knewed better. I just thought he'd suffered one of those there "brain farts" I've been reading about and typo'ed.

LoL, I have a lot of brain farts...or as my wife calls 'em brain shits.

I am having a similar problem, only happened once at a stop sign, died, turned the key off and on, no power no lights, cycled two times, came back on havent had a problem since.

Does make me nervous on the longer trips, carb synch was the solution?

turns out it was my R/R. stator checked and found to be operational. by dealership in the end.

Back