Engine Replaced???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxnewfie

Reaction score
I bought my '98 used from local dealer last fall. The salesman didn't know anything about the bike. It looked great, needed a little TLC, but nothing I couldn't handle. Few mods already done. I took it for a test ride, runs excellent and pulls like a freight train. I only put approx 150 miles on it before I put it away for the winter.:bang head:

Well, spring is in the air, so I uncovered the lovely beast today to admire my new ride. Time to get polishing! While taking a closer look and the engine, I noticed some numbers scored into it around the mounts. (see attached pics). Then I noticed the frame is scratched up on the inner side around the engine. The exhaust was clearly off this bike before too. Anyone have any ideas if this motor might have been replaced?:ummm: Maybe it just had some work done to it? It don't look like it would be come from the factory like that.

I'm very curious if the mileage on the clock matches the mileage on the motor. There's 36000kms on the clock. Maybe previous owner blew it up? It is a muscle bike, and I know it was probably ridden hard (I plan on riding it hard). It runs good and IMO it looks good too. I plan on becoming friends with the mod monkey, just wondering if I should find another Vmax to spend more time and $$$ on. I plan on having a Vmax for a very long time.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Attachments

• 2013-03-07_15-54-45_904.jpg
    2013-03-07_15-54-45_904.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 2013-03-07_15-54-58_854.jpg
    2013-03-07_15-54-58_854.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 2013-03-07_15-55-13_254.jpg
    2013-03-07_15-55-13_254.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2013-03-07_15-56-54_715.jpg
    2013-03-07_15-56-54_715.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Vmax.jpg
    Vmax.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 73
I also noticed these numbers on my motor & wondered what they were for. They are engraved not stamped.

Definately looks like the motors been out. I believe some of the engine builders scrib some numbers on the block for identification. Maybe you could ask the dealer if they have any info.

Definately looks like the motors been out. I believe some of the engine builders scrib some numbers on the block for identification. Maybe you could ask the dealer if they have any info.

Good idea. I will check with dealer tomorrow. Thanks. Maybe 2nd gear was done? I believe these bikes are known for that.

Those numbers are not uncommon on the max - I had a 96 max with numbers scribbed on it - I believe it's from the factory.

But the scratches on frame, etc... does indicate that the engine did come out for some reason.

Mike

Those numbers are used to figure out what bearings to use for the Balance Shaft (first 2 numbers) and for the Crankshaft (set of 4 numbers). There are corresponding numbers on the Balance and Crank... use the formula and you will then know what bearings to use.

The numbers reference your crank and rod bearings I believe. They are scribed in at the factory during engine assemby. Damon references this in his engine videos. As far as the scratches it kinda does look like someone may have yanked the engine at some point. Maybe it has some goodies in it :biglaugh:

Great looking Max sir!.........Ride her like ya stole it!..........:punk:.............Tom.

As far as the scratches it kinda does look like someone may have yanked the engine at some point. Maybe it has some goodies in it :biglaugh:

Some goodies would be nice! To be honest, after riding an old XJ1100 for the past few years, the first time I cranked the Vmax wide open it scared the shit out of me! Vboost is awesome! I will be making a few 1/4 mile passes this summer. I'll post some numbers then. There's still 3 feet of snow where I live.:bang head:

As mentioned already you have found the bearing code for the block with the engraving. The engine COULD have been removed for some repair work (like trans) or it could also be the "butcher of bakersfield" did a valve adjustment and really hacked at it.

My bet would be trans repair. The scratches are consistent with an engine removal by someone that didn't know the trick of pulling the middle gear (with rear ujoint) off before pulling the engine out.

Sean

Hi the numbers are for the bearings. The bike probably has not been apart since the numbers are readable. I bulit my motor to the hilt & my numbers were not on my engine block at 33,000 miles on it. John at PCW Racing did all my machine work & we had to start all over because not only no numbers on the block but the color coating on the bearings were gone too. Note John at PCW Racing is hands down the best at doing a vmax motor.

Latest posts

Back