Engine stall when fan kicks on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximo

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would cause my engine to stall when my bike gets warm (not redline but close) and the rad fan kicks on? The rpm's starts to fluctuate and then it just dies. I checked out a few forums regarding this issue and found it could be anything from a battery to a stator problem. So far I have sync'd the carb changed the fuel filter and purchased the Odyssey 680 battery. The problem seemed to go away for about two weeks and now it?s back. The bike is a 94 VMAX that has 35,000 miles on it.

Sounds like not getting full charging. A few things can be done to improve it and I would start off with a newer version of the regulator (came out later in the 90's on these). We have them for $75 plus shipping. It may be as simple as cleaning up some connections though.

Sean - What site do you have the regulators on and I will order. I also found i have a crack in one of my coils. I put some epoxy on it for now but could it be contributing to the problem?

Thanks for your quick response!

John

Sean - What site do you have the regulators on and I will order. I also found i have a crack in one of my coils. I put some epoxy on it for now but could it be contributing to the problem?

John

Be sure you read up on this and this

John

For his web site click here: Morley's Muscle
Many folks have gotten by on patching thier coils in that manner.

Wow! RaWarrior really covered it!!

I cleaned all the connectors for the charging system and added a dab of dielectric compound. I will test the voltage/amps for the stator, battery and R/R this weekend.

Thanks for your help!

I don't know if this helps, but the guy I bought my bike from tapped into the fan and I have a switch I can turn the fan on whenever I want. This may help your bike from overheating by turning on the fan before the engine gets so hot. The factory setting waits for the engine to get too hot before turning fan on. Also you would be relaying the fan straight to the battery I guess.

Latest posts

Back