Exhaust fabrication advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tark_C

Reaction score
Just bought an '89 Vmax, it was backed into by a truck which knocked it over onto the right side. It's got a Kerker 4-1 on it, so when it tipped the muffler can got smashed pretty good. Smashed to where the can needs to be cut apart to remove the core... I've attached some photos of the smashed can I have.

I would rather fab a new can than pay for a new one. I work at a machine and fabrication shop so having the means to fab one isn't an issue. I'm just curious as to what if any differences there are between making it out of stainless or making it out of regular steel for one. Second, is there a minimum tubing wall thickness I should not go under?

This is my first go at fabricating any exhaust component. I've repaired some pipes for other bikes I've had, but never had to fab up anything new for them. So I'm all ears, any suggestions on material or modifying any dimensions of the can even I'd appreciate to get some input.

Attachments

• 01_30_2013 044.jpg
    01_30_2013 044.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 01_30_2013 045.jpg
    01_30_2013 045.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 24
Just bought an '89 Vmax, it was backed into by a truck which knocked it over onto the right side. It's got a Kerker 4-1 on it, so when it tipped the muffler can got smashed pretty good. Smashed to where the can needs to be cut apart to remove the core... I've attached some photos of the smashed can I have.

I would rather fab a new can than pay for a new one. I work at a machine and fabrication shop so having the means to fab one isn't an issue. I'm just curious as to what if any differences there are between making it out of stainless or making it out of regular steel for one. Second, is there a minimum tubing wall thickness I should not go under?

This is my first go at fabricating any exhaust component. I've repaired some pipes for other bikes I've had, but never had to fab up anything new for them. So I'm all ears, any suggestions on material or modifying any dimensions of the can even I'd appreciate to get some input.

Don't think I'd use steel, maybe S/S, but what about aluminum? Most cans I've had are aluminum, dissapates heat well and easy to work with.

Thickness, don't know....why not mic the Kerker and stay in that range?

What about a baffle, got any plans for that?

As thin as you can with SS if you can make one that way. I made a titanium can probably 10 years ago (or more) that worked well too! Steel is possible but will be heavy and you'll likely need a support for the weight or it will work it's way off.

Since you are not likely going to have the same wall thickness you need to make it the same ID if possible so your internals will swap over.

Sean

Did you get that max from a guy near ligonier? Come with a trailer? Wrecked front end? "150 HP cause his buddy did engine work"

Don't think I'd use steel, maybe S/S, but what about aluminum? Most cans I've had are aluminum, dissapates heat well and easy to work with.

Thickness, don't know....why not mic the Kerker and stay in that range?

What about a baffle, got any plans for that?

I have to chop up the can to get that all out. The ends of the can weren't damaged much so as long as I don't cut into it anywhere I'm assuming the internals are salvageable.

I wanted to go with aluminum at first. Talked to the welder and the aluminum against steel plus heat actually causes the steel to corrode the aluminum.

As thin as you can with SS if you can make one that way. I made a titanium can probably 10 years ago (or more) that worked well too! Steel is possible but will be heavy and you'll likely need a support for the weight or it will work it's way off.

Since you are not likely going to have the same wall thickness you need to make it the same ID if possible so your internals will swap over.

Sean
Doing a Ti can would be cool, not sure what I'd be looking at cost wise to do it though. Definetly will be getting material with the right ID to reuse my internals, I can always skim down the OD on a lathe if need be.

Did you get that max from a guy near ligonier? Come with a trailer? Wrecked front end? "150 HP cause his buddy did engine work"

Hahahaha, that's the one! For what I got him to take for it the price was right. Did you actually go look at it or just see it on craigslist?

Don't think you're going to see the HP gain he claims it has by just getting the heads done. I asked him if he got that HP figure from having it dyno'd and he said that's what whoever did the work on it thinks it has and was confident that it'd run the 1/4 in the 9's. Really won't know until it's on the road, but I didn't buy it for the undocumented power it's claimed to have... Worst comes to worst, I'll end up swapping the aftermarket parts on it to my '92 and sell that one if it ends up having something major wrong with it.

It sounds nasty without the can on it. My dad's used to be a cop and is betting the under on a week before I get pulled over running it without a can.

I did not go look at it. I talked to the guy a bit and had him send me photos. I thought his price was too high considering the crash damage plus it sitting for a couple years... he told me he was moving at the end of the month so I figured if one were to swoop in at the right time the price may drop a good bit. I really did not want to get into on that needed that much work so I passed.

Latest posts

Back