Extremely difficult to roll in neutral

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the only thing that makes it better is starting the engine and it becomes instantly easy to push, I would think that it has to be something internal to the motor, trans or gearbox. Maybe there is a bearing trying to seize up that the vibration or lubrication of the motor temporarily relieves. Definitely has nothing to do with the battery. Sticking brake calipers and clogged orifice in the master are the most common cause of this symptom in almost all bikes, but if a bike has a problem in this area the engine being started will have no affect on it.

Usually a failing bearing makes some noise/vibration to give itself away......brakes are easy enough to rule out and should have been by now..........something with the clutch has got to be it.......clutch engages, disengages OK while running? Bike shifts normally while riding and no noises/vibrations or anything I believe you already confirmed all this.......:ummm::ummm::ummm:.......definately intriguing...............:confused2:

Quick update:

I have had to travel with work the last few days so the new battery is just now getting charged. If I have time tomorrow evening I will stick it back in and see what we are working with.

I roll the Valkyrie Interstate around pretty easily compared to the Max, and it definitely has a few more pounds than the Max. Like mentioned before, it feels like I am pushing through engine resistance. Regardless I will update when I get a bit of time to tinker.

In response to 95spfldmax and redneksoldier: Since I have owned it it has always been hard to push when not running. However I have enjoyed a few thousand miles on it with no problems. The brake hypothesis, which I concur is the most logical answer, does not fit the "fine when running, not when not" issue. However I will address if not to just 100% eliminate from list of probable causes.

May be this weekend before any in-depth analysis takes place.

Quick update:

I have had to travel with work the last few days so the new battery is just now getting charged. If I have time tomorrow evening I will stick it back in and see what we are working with.

I roll the Valkyrie Interstate around pretty easily compared to the Max, and it definitely has a few more pounds than the Max. Like mentioned before, it feels like I am pushing through engine resistance. Regardless I will update when I get a bit of time to tinker.

In response to 95spfldmax and redneksoldier: Since I have owned it it has always been hard to push when not running. However I have enjoyed a few thousand miles on it with no problems. The brake hypothesis, which I concur is the most logical answer, does not fit the "fine when running, not when not" issue. However I will address if not to just 100% eliminate from list of probable causes.

May be this weekend before any in-depth analysis takes place.

Should roll right along when off and in neutral. You've got something definately not happy there friend........

Sorry all for the much delayed response. Got into putting a suspension lift on my hunting toy and then my wife informed me that a baby is coming. Needless to say, been a little crazy last little bit.

Now for the answer that will not answer anything.

Rolls perfectly fine in neutral now. Runs great and is no more difficult to push than the others in neutral. Still tougher if it is in gear with the clutch pulled in, must not be coming off the plates totally. I did not do anything but put in the new battery.

While I am glad it is nothing serious, or at least seems not to have been, it still intrigues me.

Sorry for the undramatic ending to this thread.

Well I was about to ask if you checked inside the wheelwells, as you might have some roadkill or picked-up a drunk Inuit lodged in there?

Every once in awhile, a frozen So. American is found in the wheelwell of an airliner, some stowaway's idea of how to reach the USA on the cheap. MIA International Airport.

All the many bikes I've owned not one ever pushed easy in gear w clutch pulled in as neutral does. Neutral you aren't moving gears as you are in gear.

Sorry all for the much delayed response. Got into putting a suspension lift on my hunting toy and then my wife informed me that a baby is coming. Needless to say, been a little crazy last little bit.

Now for the answer that will not answer anything.

Rolls perfectly fine in neutral now. Runs great and is no more difficult to push than the others in neutral. Still tougher if it is in gear with the clutch pulled in, must not be coming off the plates totally. I did not do anything but put in the new battery.

While I am glad it is nothing serious, or at least seems not to have been, it still intrigues me.

Sorry for the undramatic ending to this thread.

thats normal now. mines much more difficult in gear, clutch in.

Latest posts

Back