Faster, better, quicker

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaoteay

Reaction score
So I was thinking to myself about which mods I plan on doing this winter... and I was trying to put them into two groups...

1 is for safer/practical:
For example, progressive shocks, better brakes, emulator, etc....

the other group is the fun one (and the hard to sell to the wife-o):
Faster...
But I couldn't think of that many things that I could do in the fun category without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

So here's my list:
Morley's Carb Kit
Full exhaust (to be lighter - but how much of a diff is that really going to make?)

So what should I add to my fun group that isn't way out there like a supercharger or NOS?

I've already sold the Carb kit under the, "Honey, it'll help me get better gas mileage and save money in the long run!! :eusa_dance:"

You didnt specify your price range.
If had to justify Morleys Jet Kit that cost a couple hundred bucks. In another breath your thinking NOS which is said and done correctly in the neighborhood of 800.00 and superchargers cost around 4000.00.
Sorry but not much logic here.

But here is my opinion whats worth the money on the VMAX.

First the seat. Have it modified chopped and flatend. 200.00
Second Drag Bars. 25.00
Goofy Dumbo Looking Turn Signals and mirrors. 100.00
Kerker 4-2-1 for power Worth Every Dollar what you get in power increase, sound and dropping the 200lb stock exhaust that makes the VMAX sound like a vaccum cleaner. 800.00
Brace the swing arm. 150.00 local fabrication shop.
Buy my Gauge cluster set up with a 5in monster tach with a shift lite 550.00
That should get you divorsed just in time for next spring to cruise on your new ride to look for a replacement. She wont be able to get anything in the divorse since your broke now, just make sure you title your VMAX in a parents name, so she cant have it to give to her new boyfriend to sell on ebay to one of us...

You didnt specify your price range.
In another breath your thinking NOS which is said and done correctly in the neighborhood of 800.00 and superchargers cost around 4000.00.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I was saying that NOS and superchargers are out of my price range. I can probably spend $200-$500 per mod.... Much after that is going to be a hard justification. Not impossible, but tough. (Still paying student loans off)

That should get you divorsed just in time for next spring to cruise on your new ride to look for a replacement. She wont be able to get anything in the divorse since your broke now, just make sure you title your VMAX in a parents name, so she cant have it to give to her new boyfriend to sell on ebay to one of us...
:rofl_200::rofl_200:HA HA!! Now that was is probably the best and funniest advice I've ever heard!

Anyone else have a set of mods (and prices) that they feel is crucial for power/comfort?

(Oh, here is the little that I've done: Furbur Fix, Python Drag Bars, & Drilled out stock exhaust)

Wheels!!! Lighter, Wider wheels. 17's or 18's both give you a much better choice of rubber to put on the road (a 17" rear will give you the best choice since almost every real sportbike made runs a 17" rear). Either way it will improve your bike in every catagory. Less rotating mass is good!! The bike will accelerate better, handle better, and stop better.
Not the cheapest mod but IMHO the single best bang for the buck mod you can do.

List of mods that I would recommend:

1) Progressive or Racetech front springs
2) Solid, either Delrin or aluminum, motor mounts
3) New rear shocks
4) Radials
5) Morley Muscle jet kit
6) Aftermarket exhaust system, a lot to choose from there so personnal choice is best.

Each of these mods has a cost associated with it and it is up to you to determine what you want to do here. The first 3 can be done for $750 or less depending. After that your cost goes up (Sean's jet kit is quite reasonably priced, but to really take advantage of it you will want a exhaust system).

you need to include the saftey angle when talking to your women about the exhaust. It is much safer to ride when people can hear you comming. At least that was part of my sales pitch..:biglaugh:

I noticed that nobody's mentioned frame braces... Is there a reason for that?

Also, How much lighter is the Kerker 4:2:1 compared to a 4:2 aftermarket exhaust? Am I really going to save 100lbs?

I think there's some hype associated with it. With the other mods suggested, engine mounts, springs, rubber etc I have reservations that they achieve anything at all.
I can't really speak from a great deal of experience as I only ever had a short ride on my bike before I parked it and attacked it with a pile of mods.
However I have no handling issues at all and no braces.

you're not going to save 100lbs with any exhaust. Even with no exhaust. The slip-ons will not gain you any Hp.

Sean

No your not going to save a 100lbs. I was just kidding with ya.

I do fully agree that adding a 4-2-1 Kerker with a Comp Baffle is safer/ I dont have cars pulling out in front of me anymore, and if I am running up the left lane at 6K rpms I see people looking in there mirror!
If you ride on the interstate ya may wanna invest in some ear plugs though..

For 800.00 its worth every dollar, and I am on my 7th year so it has cost me 10.00 a month so far, 10.00 a month is a good investment for safety isnt it? I know its worth making people pissed when you pass them when they have there window down :rofl_200:

Also, How much lighter is the Kerker 4:2:1 compared to a 4:2 aftermarket exhaust? Am I really going to save 100lbs?

No your not going to save a 100lbs. I was just kidding with ya.

I do fully agree that adding a 4-2-1 Kerker with a Comp Baffle is safer/ I dont have cars pulling out in front of me anymore, and if I am running up the left lane at 6K rpms I see people looking in there mirror!
If you ride on the interstate ya may wanna invest in some ear plugs though..

For 800.00 its worth every dollar, and I am on my 7th year so it has cost me 10.00 a month so far, 10.00 a month is a good investment for safety isnt it? I know its worth making people pissed when you pass them when they have there window down :rofl_200:

ROFLMAO, I scared some lady last night. She decided that everyone behind her needed to be 10km UNDER the speed limit. There were 4 cars between me and her so I had the rpm's up nice and high by the time I passed her. Her left hand went up to her ear so fast she almost lost it. :punk: Thank goodness for loud pipes!!!

Latest posts

Back