Finally found a harlan cap...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a yellow rubber cap thats found on most mechanical parts to keep dust out. most places like catapiller truck shops throw them away. The light is bright enough to shine through as well. Although you're on to something cool. seems a bit much for a tiny cap. If you can wait a day or two I may be able to find one like mine for you. Without the hole cut in it of course.

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 64
thanks man! yea no rush, my saran warp kept down with electrical tape isn't going ANYWHERE yet. haha. i just need to make it waterproof (couple holes on the light side) and be able to see thru said waterproofing. yea $9 seems high, but i mean if it was $4/$5 i wouldn't bat an eyelash, but i just went and did an exhaust and jet kit. weird how i have SOME sense of value.

Cool give me a few days, I'll look at work as well. Aircraft parts always have covers on their components to keep crap out. Buddy of mine has the same as me but without the hole and he said it shines through fine.

Cool give me a few days, I'll look at work as well. Aircraft parts always have covers on their components to keep crap out. Buddy of mine has the same as me but without the hole and he said it shines through fine.

much appreciated, let me know what u find out. a reg cover could work well too tho and just put some celephane under it and use it to press it flat. or i could whip something up with silicone maybe.

sweet thanks kevin. we'll see what cruzer comes up with and then see if the $9 cover is worth it haha

Ok, I finally found a yellow one, snatched it up and compared it to mine when I got home. Too small, PISS! I searched the entire base and came up with a few more but they're green and black so having the LED's shine through is out for them. I'm actually deployed and won't be home till late October, if I were at my home station I know exactly where 10 to 15 yellow ones are but thats my luck. Other shops usually throw them away when they change components so I'm lucky to get these. Anyhow, as you can see from the pic's the black one is longer than the green, but it can be cut down, and the green one...well unless you have a green bike. Stupid looking IMO. You MAY be able to heat the yellow one up in some hot water and stretch it over the top but I measured it to be 7/8" across. Its doubtful. The other two will be a snug 1" like mine. Option two, cut a hole in the cap like I did and trap some clear plastic underneath it to keep crap out, at least you can replace the clear when it gets ragged. If you go this route try putting it on a scrap piece of PVC and use a sharp exacto blade to cut the hole otherwise it will be lopsided. I ruined one by holding it in my hand while cutting. Option three...You get the clear one you found. I can and will keep my eyes out for other yellow ones from now on just in case. I actually don't get water in mine because I use a spray cleaner/wax/polish on my bike, it works well. I hate using soap and water, if I get stuck in rain I cover it with a glove or rag I have in my tool pocket. Since that's not always feasible I have considered carefully filling the top part of the shift light with clear silicone, the red lights will (should) be just as visible and water proof. Ive had my light for so long I may just try it. If it craps out on me oh well. I have a rev limiter and usually bounce off that first before I shift anyway. LOL
Let me know what you think, I'll send'm and you can decide or shit can them...and go with the plastic one, its up to you.
Kenny.

Attachments

• PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 12
Ok, I finally found a yellow one, snatched it up and compared it to mine when I got home. Too small, PISS! I searched the entire base and came up with a few more but they're green and black so having the LED's shine through is out for them. I'm actually deployed and won't be home till late October, if I were at my home station I know exactly where 10 to 15 yellow ones are but thats my luck. Other shops usually throw them away when they change components so I'm lucky to get these. Anyhow, as you can see from the pic's the black one is longer than the green, but it can be cut down, and the green one...well unless you have a green bike. Stupid looking IMO. You MAY be able to heat the yellow one up in some hot water and stretch it over the top but I measured it to be 7/8" across. Its doubtful. The other two will be a snug 1" like mine. Option two, cut a hole in the cap like I did and trap some clear plastic underneath it to keep crap out, at least you can replace the clear when it gets ragged. If you go this route try putting it on a scrap piece of PVC and use a sharp exacto blade to cut the hole otherwise it will be lopsided. I ruined one by holding it in my hand while cutting. Option three...You get the clear one you found. I can and will keep my eyes out for other yellow ones from now on just in case. I actually don't get water in mine because I use a spray cleaner/wax/polish on my bike, it works well. I hate using soap and water, if I get stuck in rain I cover it with a glove or rag I have in my tool pocket. Since that's not always feasible I have considered carefully filling the top part of the shift light with clear silicone, the red lights will (should) be just as visible and water proof. Ive had my light for so long I may just try it. If it craps out on me oh well. I have a rev limiter and usually bounce off that first before I shift anyway. LOL
Let me know what you think, I'll send'm and you can decide or shit can them...and go with the plastic one, its up to you.
Kenny.

hey thanks man! i'll try out the black one with some plastic underneath. if that fails. well back to the clear PVC one.

garrett morgan
5 Linda Ln
Franklin MA 02038

thanks again!

I looked and found several good canidates for a cover but you had to buy in lots of 1000 so that option is out. I will keep up a informal search to see if I can find something local that may work. I know cruzer is hooking you up with a black cover but if I can find another alternative I will hook you up.
I haven't had the issues that Garrett has had with the Harlan's waterproofness but I was looking more for something to dress it up. I was thinking a red vinyl cover would suit Redbone perfectly.
Like Maxcruiser always says: MUST MOD SOMETHING!
The mod monkey is always lurking!

Attachments

• pic_2.jpg
    pic_2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5
cruzer, got the caps in yesterday. took an exacto knife to the black one. cut a hole almost the size and then put some celephane over the light and put the cap on. looked funny since the cap couldnt' rest 100% on the celephane b/c the top was so thick. put a dab of silicone around the edge adn it looks pretty decent for now. we'll see if it passes the water tests.

whether it works or not, i appreciate it man! its better than the electrical tape! haha

Cool, at least were moving the right dierection. You'll find what you need through trial and error. Just for kicks you could tell people the cap is one of the most expensive mods on your bike. You know how much the military pays for stuff. LOL L8r dude.

haha thanks man. much appreciated. i tlooks better than it did!

man tho, removing it with the flyscreen on there is a bitch. haha tight fit! (thats what she said)

Garrett, Here is my solution to the Harlan shift light dilemma. I am making my own light and relocating the circuit board.
This is what I have come up with. The bulb pictured is from Auto Zone, but wasn't bright enough for me. So then I found this one: http://www.customdynamics.com/indicator_led.htm Part # 03262, and needed a housing for it. I had already assembled the light and don't have a pic of the bulb. First pic gives you an idea of the light and pipe that I used. Pipe is 1/2'' cpvc from Lowes. Had to take dremmel tool and ream out inside if pipe to fit light. Then I used 2 part, 5 min Epoxy to fill the back side, after I epoxied the bulb into the pipe.
I am going to mount to circuit board / old light from Harlan under my left scoop. I have emailed Harlan already and he is sending me another black cap to cover the ends of the pipe that houses the circuitry.
I am having Tom at COO make me a bracket to mount it on.

More pics to follow as I receive the needed parts.

Attachments

• DSC00709.jpg
    DSC00709.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00714.jpg
    DSC00714.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00715.jpg
    DSC00715.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 17
very nice. when i emailed i never got anything in return from him, which email did u use?

Back