First time out Fri Aug 8th

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoke

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the motor broke in and made it to the track.
These were my first times ever on a bike. WOW lot different than car AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had slipped the clutch way to much thru the first sixty feet cause thr front end kept wanting to come up.

11.25 @ 123mph
2.0 60ft <-----very poor:bang head::bang head::bang head:

I have now lowered the bike 2" in front and strutted the rear 2" lower in rear, the bike feels completely different, it wants the lunge now and not come up. Changing the tires pressure and lauching much harder this friday. I would like to see 1.6-1.7 pending track conditions and METZ ME880. I am gonna play with my ign also probably go with curve adv 6 and 7 w race fuel for 10,200-10,500 shift points. Help with my timing adv for high rpm's

Will post result after Fri Aug 15th Test and tune

Roy, any advice would help

These were my first times ever on a bike. WOW lot different than car AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had slipped the clutch way to much thru the first sixty feet cause thr front end kept wanting to come up.

11.25 @ 123mph

I have now lowered the bike 2" in front and strutted the rear 2" lower in rear, the bike feels completely different, it wants the lunge now and not come up. Changing the tires pressure and lauching much harder this friday. I would like to see 1.6-1.7 pending track conditions and METZ ME880. I am gonna play with my ign also probably go with curve adv 6 and 7 w race fuel for 10,200-10,500 shift points. Help with my timing adv for high rpm's

when you say motor broken in .. did you rebuild your motor,,,new motor ??? 11.2 is a good time on a max with its weight......

It was a just a quick hone, new rings and pistons not a complete rebuild. The times are ok but atleast .5 sec slow. the Bike ran 10.29 wit slick and bars at only 129mph. Roy

11.25 @ 123mph

I think most shift before 9k rpm if running a stock motor. One of the more experianced guys will chime in hopefully. I've read that you run the risk floating valves if you redline the Vmax motor too many times.
I don't race myself but I ordered a Harlan shift light just so I don't over rev it when I'm out having fun. :punk:
Are there any cheap rev limiters out there?

Awesome Roy! Not bad for the first time IMO.

Read the dyno sheet. Where does your motor stop producing power? 10,500 seems high but if it works for you go with it.

You're a small enough guy (weight wise) that you should be able to see 10's with practice.

11.25 @ 123mph

Thats a good running motor!! 2.0 60ft at 11.25 123MPH doesnt seem right though. That slow of a 60ft and at 123 would almost sound like a 11.35 pass.
I shift at 9400-9500. Since you are playing with timing curves you may make HP over 8500 RPM's.
Set your shift point at 9400 and see how much or if you pick up any. I have not had much luck with my rod bearings shifting 10K+.
I can only see race fuel hurting your ET / MPH due to the high octane in a low compression engine 10:5:1 The onlytime you see an increase with race fuel are usually compressions ranges of 12:0:1 and higher due to preignition.

I have heard that race octane does hurt. However, I do have slightly over 12:1 compression. Ross forged 12:1 pistons. To prevent the valves from floating I have went with the heavy duty web cams valve springs. And, new rod bearings and rod bolts. On my dyno sheet I had them shift at 9700 and the curve was still steeply rising that was with the stock ignition. I am looking for some more dyno time here soon to justify my shifts. This friday I will play with my shifts 10,200, or so. My lauch is my weakness, but the lower stiffer bike with definitly help. Roy

I have heard that race octane does hurt. However, I do have slightly over 12:1 compression. Ross forged 12:1 pistons. To prevent the valves from floating I have went with the heavy duty web cams valve springs. And, new rod bearings and rod bolts. On my dyno sheet I had them shift at 9700 and the curve was still steeply rising that was with the stock ignition. I am looking for some more dyno time here soon to justify my shifts. This friday I will play with my shifts 10,200, or so. My lauch is my weakness, but the lower stiffer bike with definitly help. Roy

Yeah I knew something was up! That engine must be producing some serious torque out through the first 2-3 gears! In order to run 11.20 at 123 you have to be 60fting atleast a 1.75.
Did you put any money into porting and polishing on your heads?
If you running 12:1 I would use the VP C-4 race fuel. In your case with the higher compression and playing with the timing to prevent pre-ign you can run a higher octane.
The VMAX is hard to get off the line due to its shitty clutch its a very limited clutch throw which is hard to find the slipping point.
Buy one of them hand spring excersize things from wal mart for 5.00 They work really good for clutch control.

I did quite a bid of port and polishing. But, the guy specifically told me that I needed cams to get the motor to really wake up and take full use of the heads and pistons. Roy

Roy, you can do my engine when it dies. lol Unless you want to Sean.

Already got a 1300 in the works Mark. I'm thinking a big bore 1300 engine. Somewhere near 1400cc.

Sean

Sweet.....you doing the boring? What are you expecting for HP/torque? 150/95?

When I thought my engine was done due to low compression me and Franky were already planing a trip to Derby. lol

Back