FJ1300 Goods / Bads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the XS1100 is any more prone to 2nd gear failures than other bikes in general.

In fact, I think more XS1100 folks had first gear failures than second gear failures (including me).

I find all of the various bike forums I have belonged to discuss transmission failures for the respective models. It makes me think most bikes can be abused to cause a transmission failure.

It makes me think most bikes can be abused to cause a transmission failure.
And when you think about it, it's almost always 2nd gear. Nobody ever stays in first gear for very long. 2nd is the one most people almost always over rev going into and out of corners.

I personally have never broken a second gear and I don't personally know anybody who has. The fact that they happen tells me there's a rather limited number of people that through a complete lack of riding ability or common sense put far more stress on 2nd gear than anybody that has a clue would ever put on it.

Sorry, I stand to be corrected. Re-read the ad, ' Miles at 19,000 The injectors just got maintenance and tank coated have receipt for that work. Also has heated grips great for this weather. ' Thank you for that observation....👍
AFAIK tanks get coated when they are rusty, "injectors got maintenance" is very questionable info. I did clean injectors when they got clogged, but nobody does anything to them if they are fine, except maybe adding some fuel system cleaner to fuel, still not likely.

AFAIK tanks get coated when they are rusty, "injectors got maintenance" is very questionable info. I did clean injectors when they got clogged, but nobody does anything to them if they are fine, except maybe adding some fuel system cleaner to fuel, still not likely.
Seems the bike sat for awhile before he bought it off his father-n-law. It's a 2004 with 19,000 miles. The guy owns six bikes and took it to his mechanic. Ran but not perfectly. His mechanic told him best to clean out the tank and injectors.????

I don't think the XS1100 is any more prone to 2nd gear failures than other bikes in general.

In fact, I think more XS1100 folks had first gear failures than second gear failures (including me).

I find all of the various bike forums I have belonged to discuss transmission failures for the respective models. It makes me think most bikes can be abused to cause a transmission failure.
Some Mercedes mechanic told me about dead transmissions, because people used reverse gear as brake.
I cannot complain about stupid people, because I bought gazillion cars with dead engines from them dirt cheap. 💪

Seems the bike sat for awhile before he bought it off his father-n-law. It's a 2004 with 19,000 miles. The guy owns six bikes and took it to his mechanic. Ran but not perfectly. His mechanic told him best to clean out the tank and injectors.????
Here in Europe we have Ethanol in our petrol, lead free. Each and every bike will suffer if it sits too long and the question which one will have bigger problems, those with carbs or those with EFI. Precaution is to fill a zip of an additive before winter into the tank and ride it so the additive gets into everywhere.

A FJR is designed for touring and not for shining in a garage. a 2004 with 19k miles... hmm I wont buy (except its too cheap) as there are to many problems to expect.

Put a can of Seafoam in it, fill it with gas and ride. If that doesn't sort it out, they make kits for flushing the injectors. They're a bit pricey but still cheaper than taking it to the shop.

I have had an XS1100 since new for 40 years and the gearbox is certainly agricultural, but it has never gone wrong in 90,000 miles. That is just mine however and of course generally the second gear fault is well known. It does make me wonder what proportion did develop the fault, and how much of the fault is due to owner abuse.

My FJR1300 developed what I thought was an injector fault. It would run fine until I opened the throttle wide, then it would hesitate. Put all sorts of injector cleaner in the petrol (gas) with no effect whatsoever. Turned out that it was a fuel filter blockage. There is a white plastic filter shaped like a tea bag in the tank which was clogged. Cleaned that up and she has run like a train ever since.

And when you think about it, it's almost always 2nd gear. Nobody ever stays in first gear for very long. 2nd is the one most people almost always over rev going into and out of corners.

I personally have never broken a second gear and I don't personally know anybody who has. The fact that they happen tells me there's a rather limited number of people that through a complete lack of riding ability or common sense put far more stress on 2nd gear than anybody that has a clue would ever put on it.
Well
I’ve done 2 bikes a yz250 and a v65(not even close to original owner) I don’t know anyone else in my circle that’s blown a second gear at least not said anything
For me my favourite range of gear is second and 3rd
Second gear is a lot of fun ,shit really happens with it
I find I have a great deal of riding ability and boatloads of common sense and I will ring it’s neck every chance I get
So I guess really I put a lot of stress on second and I’m more then willing to suffer the consequences for such foolery it sure is fun!!! I highly doubt I will be able to punch the gen 2 but it’s always a reality

Common sense and ability
Peter

I have had an XS1100 since new for 40 years and the gearbox is certainly agricultural, but it has never gone wrong in 90,000 miles. That is just mine however and of course generally the second gear fault is well known. It does make me wonder what proportion did develop the fault, and how much of the fault is due to owner abuse.
There was an article (XS11 forum) saying XS1100 was the best bike in the world.
https://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/arti...e-what-makes-the-xs11-the-best-bike-ever.html

Last edited:
My 06 FJR had a flat spot in the throttle as you take off - a hesitation. A new throttle tube fixes 75% of the issue and adding an EFI tuner to increase fuel took care of the rest. No other issues exist. All early FJRs have this issue.

Anybody here can tell me something about the 2004 on up FJ1300's? Thinking about getting one. Pro's and Cons...?
Thanks
Phil
I watch on YTube channel "2 Lane Life" and they document their ride from Kali to Sturgis, usually 8 guys on big HD's, really fun watch, but I can't help but wonder how much better that long trip would be on an FJR rather than the big HD's? I would think the FJR, a 3rd Gen, would really be in it's element and soon make the HD riders wish they were on an FJR? I asked the gents that run the channel if they would allow a non HD on the trip with them, like an FJR or Wing but no reply.....:) They do seem like really nice guys.

Well, I went to go pickup the FJR. Texted the guy 85 miles out of Houston to check in. He says "Oh, I'm sorry guy. I sold the Bike last night and forgot to call you." Sold it after I had called him and asked if the bike was still for sale. 'Yes it is.' Okay great. I'll be there about 930am I had said.
I was sooooo pissed, I almost lost control of the car. Re-routed myself and went up to San Marcos, Tx to pickup an 83' Goldwing. Then headed back home. Long day. 3:45am left the house and back by 5:45pm.

It had a 'bad 2nd gear' anyway. 😆

I'm sure everyone buying things frequently, has had a similar circumstance. Use of a 'sour grapes' rationalization helps to relieve the sting, even without the proof of truth for that.

I always tell my kids things happen for a reason. Sometimes I find it hard to beleive this myself, 'BUT' look what I found. Going back up Saturday towards San Antonio this time to pick it up. Been wanting to build one just like it. Now I'll have one on hand to copy some ideas.
273403088_4868936456552348_5686528074466435001_n.jpg

I always tell my kids things happen for a reason. Sometimes I find it hard to beleive this myself, 'BUT' look what I found. Going back up Saturday towards San Antonio this time to pick it up. Been wanting to build one just like it. Now I'll have one on hand to copy some ideas.
View attachment 82732
That is a very cool looking ride!

Back