Float Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What are some issues or problems I'd see if I had either a flaky float or float issue. Besides the obvious of fuel coming out of the overflow, what other issues would I see. Trying to think out some theories here, so I need to bounce some ideas.

If rich, then intermittent flooding and sooty or wet spark plugs. Lean, and you'll get a stumble or loss of power...especially around 8800 to redline.

Mark

If rich, then intermittent flooding and sooty or wet spark plugs. Lean, and you'll get a stumble or loss of power...especially around 8800 to redline.

Mark

Hmm, well I'm looking beyond the standard issues. I'm getting that smoke out the pipe issue that I had earlier, off and on. I rechecked the compression and it is good and the same for each cylinder. When I get the smoking issue, the plug is always wet, which makes me wonder if there is an intermittent float issue that is soaking the cylinder. I'm wondering if the raw fuel could be pushed out on the exhaust stroke, past the valves, and dumped into the exhaust pipe. I figure it has to be a carb issue as everything else checks out. So have you ever seen a flaky float or any float issue do this?

Have you checked the wet float height with a hose?Maybe you have a worn float needle or seat.Time to tear them down for a complete cleaning and adjustment?

Buster, I'll throw this out at ya. If your not getting proper ignition for what ever reason you will be pushing unburnt fuel into the pipes and getting soaked plug(s). Right ? Are you absolutely sure this is not happening.

Are you able to isolate one carb. How does it perform when you hit the 6K rpm mark? I would guess, if you have a rich carb to start with, when the boost kicks it might multiply the effect.

What happens when you pull the choke out a bit, or will it even run with some choke on ? What about the going the other way - Is it bogging at all ? However, that doesn't explain the wet plug(s) so I hardly think thats your problem.

What happens when you try to sync the carbs, if your able to increase/decrease the rpm when adjusting on each carb, is there one carb that you can seem to sync ?

If it was the floats, or needle and seat, the bike would flood very ez and even a slight lean over, you'd probably get gas spitting from the tubes.

Maybe you could pour equal amounts of seafoam down each carb one at a time and observe the exhaust, if one carb smokes allot more than the other 3 I'd think that carb has an issue of some sort.

I hope this helps, or at least sparks an idea. Good Luck I hope ya solve the problem.

OK I yanked the carbs out tonight. Here is a picture of the float area what I considered was the "bad" carb. Nothing obvious inside though as to a
problem:damn angry: .

Attachments

• carb inside.jpg
    carb inside.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 69
Back