Fork issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
After the dismantle of the fork, I notice that the metal locking ring was broken and did scratch deeply the chrome. It would explain some leaks I got.

What would be the best way to remove a deep scratch on the tube?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

After the dismantle of the fork, I notice that the metal locking ring was broken and did scratch deeply the chrome. It would explain some leaks I got.

What would be the best way to remove a deep scratch on the tube?

Replace the fork tube.

You should be able to find a good used one thru Kyle, Sean, or other members who have spare parts. Or, you can contact Forking by Frank for a new one, which will probably cost you close to $150, shipped. About a year ago I was looking for replacement downtubes, and having used Frank's before for other bikes, contacted them. I think it was $289 for two new downtubes and then shipping. I bought some used tubes from another member, a great deal which allowed me to upgrade from my smaller tubes & front end to the 43 mm later-model. I have some RICOR valves (thanks, firefly) and am waiting on new Race Tech straight-wound springs to match my weight.

You cant remove that kind of scratch. If you smooth it out just enough that it wont cause any tears on the seal you may get by. Might always have some residual fluid escaping but i doubt much unless the scratch is severe.

If its bad enough to cause continuous problems, we have repaired a couple cylinders ( dump trk lift cylinder and excavator dipper cylinder) by filling with a qood quality epoxy and sanding smooth. Its not pretty or a totally permanent solution but it worked and these things are still in use without issue.

Or buy a fork tube...

I can get the OEM tubes or the aftermarket tubes as well.

Sean

Thanks guys. I will look for another tube and for the meantime try to smooth it out that way i dont get stuck too long. The epoxy could work perfectly for now.

I have heard (but never tried) that using a two pack body filler can work.

I guess the secret will be to make sure that the surface is scrupulously clean and that you flatten so that the filler is flush.

Another option is to get the forks hard chromed.
This involves grinding down the tubes, hard chroming then re-grinding back to size.

Get a used set of forks... Much easier and you get much more parts... Sometimes a single fork shows up on ebay... pretty cheap... or its a good excuse to go USD... LOL

I know... lol
I don't want to spend 300 bucks to fix it. I'll prefer a quick fix and go for USD when I have the funds.
I'll see how it goes first.

My first priority is to get back my bike to go to work ;)

Latest posts

Back