Found something in oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jby1999

Reaction score
Well i found a piece of metal in my oil when i changed it 2 weeks ago,,,, ive verified what it is and....... its a ball bearing ball retainer clip thingy. aparently one of my bearings inside is falling apart. question is how much am i looking at in parts as i will be tearing the whole thing apart honeing cleaning polishing checking rings do comp check on it before teardown....

what exactly am i getting myself into?? pretty think section in the service manual

how much would a mechanic charge to do this/

Post a picture of it and we may be able to tell what bearing it came off of.

having difficulty locating it. its not in my mag parts tray grrr someone was screwing around in my garage.

it was like 3/8" across stood about 3/16 high at the hump without holding it hard to measure

it looks like it belongs to a bigger bearing? and the tranny shift feels a lil funny sapposedly when i got the bike it was sapposed to have all this stuff done to it undercut tranny and what not fresh rebuild yada yada i doesnt seem like it in this case maybe a couple thousand on the bike most likly less then 2000miles in the 2 yrs ive ownd it. reason being had shoulder injury couldnt ride. put about 1000 on this year.

You can check the Middle Drive Gear Bearing by removing the cover just beside your left footpeg. Its even possible to replace this bearing without spliting the engine cases.

Another bearing that you can check without spliting the cases is bearing under clutch basket but this one couldnt be replaced without spliting.

There're only 7 bearings in the whole engine.

ok thx ill check those question is both of those if they lost something would end up in the oil pan? im hoping but my luck its an important one now the question is do i ride it or strip it all down as i dont have the money for a rebuild currently???? how much is a gasket kit that special head gasket and all new bearings? im guessing i need new stuff for the top end as well any input in this area is appreciated. cant see rebuilding bottom without honing top and redoing the valvetrain. thnx

Almost evrything would end in the pan.

At Your place i'd better check this immediality.

Its easy job to "just take a look". You gonna need only new paper crankcase gaskets.

Contact Sean Morley for parts suplying: [email protected]
Sean will lead You in the best route.

Overall length from break to break .493" width .153" at widest point looks like it had some rash going to motor. And thickness is .047" Havnt checked motor oil since last year changed at end o season still runs but I ordered Deamons videos to help rebuild if need be

398b31d1.jpg

And sorry for the long delay I just found it wife put in bag under a bunch of craP in a drawer we never use. Wasn't able to check other locations to see if it belong to any visible spots mentioned above. Hopefull someone can measure up some retainers and pinpoint where it came from. Length is the ball cup to where it broke where the tabs I guess mount to bearing width is when it stands up in counter in picture looking at the skinny part and thickness is it on it's side at it's thickest point. I hope I don't have ne more findings as klutz 20-50 us expensive to drain and refill

If it's the ball bearing retainer it's likely from the transmission or maybe waterpump (which is a small bearing).

Sean

So this means drive or don't drive. I honestly know having anything like that come loose isn't good but if someone could verify which it came from that would be great. I'm guessing u need to split to fix the water pump I know it's a must for tranny

No, the pump is easy to take off. The only other area it could be would be trans which would need removal. I'm not sure what to suggest. You could mail it to me and I could compare it with the bearings I have on loose transmissions just to see if I can figure out which one it's off of.

Sean

Back