Front fork boots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyknocker

Reaction score
I just dropped in to let others know what I did to avoid having to redo the front fork seals almost annually. I put New Aftermarket boots on both tubes and have not had them spring a leak since. And when they leaked, they leaked a lot. After the 3rd time in 5 years having to redo a seal, I deduced that it probably was from dust getting in the seal. Boots may not look as nice as the blue shock tubes mine has but no leaks and/or grunge buildup is nice. I live at 10k ft in the Rockies where I can't go anywhere without traversing 1 to 3 or more passes and there is lots of dirt around, and I am not afraid to hit a dirt road or 3 either. Check the pic- no leaks after over a year. Hallelujah!

20231018_131329.jpg20231018_131329.jpg

Common for the dual sport stuff that has been used for years. If it works then roll with it!

The boots do a good job if you eliminated your seal issues.

A dust seal cleaning tool can be made from a plastic milk bottle, like the letter 'J,' you use it to clean the crud out from underneath the seal. Milk makes strong bones/bodies, and clean fork seals!

The boots do a good job if you eliminated your seal issues.

A dust seal cleaning tool can be made from a plastic milk bottle, like the letter 'J,' you use it to clean the crud out from underneath the seal. Milk makes strong bones/bodies, and clean fork seals!
Just did it to my 2012, absolutely saved me from tearing things apart. Someone should make a video or an article on it. You are spot on! Great information, thank you!

There is at least one thread on it if someone wants to search for it. Cycle Gear stores carry a product doing it, but you can easily make your own.

Back