Front fork rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
What all do I need to rebuild the front forks on a 1988 vmax 1200? I think they are blown out, thank you.

If the oil hasn't been changed within living memory then I'd start with doing that first.

Not sure what you mean by 'blown out'; apart from the oil seals the only other part that may wear is the bushing.
If the seal(s) are shot that is pretty obvious and if the bushes are worn you will feel some radial movement.

If you need to strip the forks then removing the securing bolt from the damper tube is the only potential problem.
Easiest way is to remove the springs and ask your local friendly technician to undo them with their windy gun.
If that is not an option then a tool for holding the damper tube can be made by welding a 24mm across flats bolt onto a rod which fits into the hex at the top of the damper (post '93 need a 29mm a/f bolt).

If the oil hasn't been changed within living memory then I'd start with doing that first.

Not sure what you mean by 'blown out'; apart from the oil seals the only other part that may wear is the bushing.
If the seal(s) are shot that is pretty obvious and if the bushes are worn you will feel some radial movement.

If you need to strip the forks then removinit's really just a nutg the securing bolt from the damper tube is the only potential problem.
Easiest way is to remove the springs and ask your local friendly technician to undo them with their windy gun.
If that is not an option then a tool for holding the damper tube can be made by welding a 24mm across flats bolt onto a rod which fits into the hex at the top of the damper (post '93 need a 29mm a/f bolt).

I did buy the Yammy tool for holding the damper on early gen 1's, to satisfy my tool fetish. But, it's really only what Steve described. I replaced my worn upper bushings and it made a big difference. Using Factory parts, you can't go wrong.

Back