front suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad777

Reaction score
Just finished my progressive front spring mod. I can't believe the difference, night and day.later all can't wait for the next mod.

Congrats: I love the modded front suspensions and feel it should be at the top of the list for every Gen I. :biglaugh:

Mmmhmm....these bikes can be made to handle IMO very well given their length and weight. I will absolutely smoke my buddy's M109 in the corners.

While you're at it, slide the tubes up the tree about 3/4" (any more and your fender might get too intimate with the radiator under hard braking). I noticed it really quickened up the steering, and it took like 5 minutes and was free.

When I upgraded with progressive springs and Ricor valves I could not believe the difference.
I even have an hard time to get used to it. From spongy it became almost stiff.
I don't freak out too much anymore with the shit roads here though :p

Btw any trick to determine if the shocks are too stiff or not ?

The difference was so extreme, I thought I installed the spacer wrong till I rode it. Got about 4k miles on the stock suspension. I was plowing pot holes yesterday just to see how good it felt. Awesome ordering my rear shocks next week.

When I upgraded with progressive springs and Ricor valves I could not believe the difference.
I even have an hard time to get used to it. From spongy it became almost stiff.
I don't freak out too much anymore with the shit roads here though :p

The stock shocks must GO, even if they are new, the difference in the bike's handling is worth the expense, suspension is the most important first mod one must do to enjoy a great handling vmax, many options for shocks but don't go too cheap. progressive and works performance are both good.
start saving for shocks, you'll be happy you spent the money. good suspension alone transforms the bike's handling.

another thing thats overlooked is the handle bar, bikes are one size fits all but when you replace the handle bar with a lower one like (superbike) bar & use risers like the pivoting ones, you get more adjustability tailored to your arm length and sitting posture, this alone improves your control over the bike & improves your skills.

when the elbows are straight you loose the fine control you need for counter steering, if you look at sports bikes bars you'll see they are close to the rider and mounted low so pushing down on them as in counter steering becomes easy vs the ape hanger stock handle bar.
when the elbows are bent at ~ 60* you have effortless control leaning the bike and counter steering, it also makes your grip much more relaxed then with the stock handle bar. its an easy & cheap mod but makes a huge difference in the bike's handling.

I can confirm that, superbike bars are way better than stocks.
I find it a bit better than the drag bar too.

It has the same back sweep angle as the drag bar but with a little rise to clear the faux cover. I am using a one inch genmar riser with it but ordered the pivoting risers, I know it will be even better to get my elbows bent more than my current setup.

Mmmhmm....these bikes can be made to handle IMO very well given their length and weight. I will absolutely smoke my buddy's M109 in the corners.

While you're at it, slide the tubes up the tree about 3/4" (any more and your fender might get too intimate with the radiator under hard braking). I noticed it really quickened up the steering, and it took like 5 minutes and was free.

I agree. I had lowered the tree an inch and loved the results, so when i upgraded to progressive rates, i returned the trees back to where they belong and did the 1" internal lowering. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

another thing thats overlooked is the handle bar, bikes are one size fits all but when you replace the handle bar with a lower one like (superbike) bar & use risers like the pivoting ones, you get more adjustability tailored to your arm length and sitting posture, this alone improves your control over the bike & improves your skills.

i have the same bars and enjoy them as well. although i do wonder if i should put risers like you did. i'm 5'9" and have a reach of 19.5" from shoulder to wrist. i occasionally find myself leaning on the bars, and kind of prefer the somewhat leaned-in position over the the "lazyboy" posture

i really do believe it is a matter of personal preference. here's one of the links that i used as a guide line: http://www.vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/setup_2.htm

Yea I didn't mention, I also got a set of drag bars love the look and the feel of them also.Had the bars on one day before i did the suspension. They made a difference for sure how the bike felt and how i sit. I am 6,2 so I like the slight lean forward and the wider grips. Feels like my dirt bike. P.S. any suggestion which shocks I should look at.?

Yea I didn't mention, I also got a set of drag bars love the look and the feel of them also.Had the bars on one day before i did the suspension. They made a difference for sure how the bike felt and how i sit. I am 6,2 so I like the slight lean forward and the wider grips. Feels like my dirt bike. P.S. any suggestion which shocks I should look at.?

Works performance shocks. They set them custom for your weight, (spring sand dampening). I never tried the Progressives, but a lot of people like them too.

I got the Progressive 430's for the rear. Alot of people go with the 440's, but I liked the look of the 430's better. Got mine through Sean Morley here on the site. I went with 11.5" for the rear and lowered the front 2" internally with progressive springs there as well. Love the way it sits and handles now.

Latest posts

Back