Front Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxinID

Reaction score
Please see attached I'm retardedright now :rocket bike:

Attachments

• Front tire.doc
    28 KB · Views: 58
Do not put a 130 on their.I used to have a 120 avon venom and it was huge!110 is stock.I think my front radial is a 100.

Do not put a 130 on their.I used to have a 120 avon venom and it was huge!110 is stock.I think my front radial is a 100.

I just put a brand new 120/90-18 front on mine and love it. it fills the front fender very nicely and is "around" .8" to .6" taller than stock size.

I've run 130's before and it fit fine but didn't really like how it handled. A little too quick on turn in for me due to the shorter heigth but that's really a matter of preference and riding style

Are these radials your looking at?

639mm equals 25.15"
633mm equals 24.92"
The stock size 110/90-18 runs around 25.7 to 25.9 depending on who makes it.

The Various 130/70-18's I was able to find numbers on are between 25.1-25.3

The 120/90-18 I run is 26.5"

These are bridgestones numbers but they should be "fairly" close for most mfg.'s tire.

Everyone has different ideas for sure but for me the bigger, heavier, taller front tire adds some "gyro" effect to the front end and helps the bike not grab onto every crack that runs down the road the same direction I am going.

The 130 helped add the same stability/resistence to grabbing the expansion joint but the shorter diameter made it turn too quickly for my taste. I know someone used to riding a sportbike all the time would probably feel completetly opposite about this though.

The tire sizes are going to effect your speedometer the following way (bear in mind these are averages using average mfg published diameters. Percentages are compared to stock)

120/90-18 That I run;Speedometer is going to read about 2.7% slower than real speed
130/70-18 633mm Diameter; Speedometer is going to read about 3.5% faster than real speed
130/70-18 639mm Diameter; Speedometer is going to read about 2.5% faster than real speed

wfcall:

Thank you for your responses.

I have been lurking and researching this tire at various web sites, but have yet to find any vmaxers that have any road experience with it.

ME880 FRONT RADIAL 130/70R-18 (63H) H-SPEC

It's diameter is 653mm or 25.7in.

"The stock size 110/90-18 runs around 25.7 to 25.9 depending on who makes it." WFCALL

You can see it's specs at http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/media/metzeler_2006.pdf

It was built by Metzeler for use as a front stock tire on the Honda VTX1800C.

Would this taller tire (stock diameter) help with the "corner dive?"

This tire appears to be the same height, fender spacing, and speedo reading?

The largest Dia. 120 I can find is 625mm or 24.60in. in Radials

I would guess that if the tire is the same diameter as stock it's gonna turn-in and corner about the same......except for the fact it's a radial which I'm sure changes everything and I have no experience with.

I do know a guy here locally that IS running an 18" ME880 radial on the stock front wheel and I'll ask him about it. I don't think it's the size your asking about though because the sidewall is very short and the whole setup looks to be maybe a 1/2" less in diameter than a stock setup wheel/tire..

ok, so just to be sure 120-90-18 will work fine without any clearence issues? I'm at a point where I need a front tire in the next week so I'm wanting to order today. If this works I can get the tire I want.

Thanks guys.

ok, so just to be sure 120-90-18 will work fine without any clearence issues? I'm at a point where I need a front tire in the next week so I'm wanting to order today. If this works I can get the tire I want.

Thanks guys.

I have a 120/90-18 ME880 (not radial) on the stock front rim sitting out in the parking lot right now.

Back