Front to Back weight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamLentz

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd post a thread instead. I do apologize if there is a thread already.

I purchased a pick up the other day, a 2004 F150 FX4 with a 5.5' box, and I'd like to use it to haul my V-Max when we take our long trips. (With the wife, the dog and all of our shit, riding it there is out of the question) But we'd like to have it for when we reach our destination. Since this is my first pick up, I'm a little unsure about the weight of the bike in the bed of the truck. I've hauled a bike in the back of a truck before, and we put it in diagonally, but I'm wondering about straight on. Any help would be great, fellas.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure a lot of the bike will be on the tailgate. I must have missed that in the original post. 5.5' bed is pretty short for the bike. I have to do some measuring, but I just want to make sure that the tailgate itself and the cables and hold the bike. Should I run a 2x8 or something the length of the bed and tailgate, under the bike to support it? Or just load and pray?

I see a lot of guys haul their bikes in pick-ups to the racetrack and some have extended swingarms. Those are surely on the tailgates. Front tires by the back window strapped with no problems.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the bike will be on the tailgate. I must have missed that in the original post. 5.5' bed is pretty short for the bike. I have to do some measuring, but I just want to make sure that the tailgate itself and the cables and hold the bike. Should I run a 2x8 or something the length of the bed and tailgate, under the bike to support it? Or just load and pray?

I wouldn't trust the cables! The outer plastic coating can look like new and the cable be badly rusted. Eric's suggestion looks like a good set up.

Hmmm, those look familiar...

LOL....yes they do, and I will give you full credit. They, as well as the ramp, was delivered today. It will still be a few days before I can get everything together and see how it all works.

They are a great idea.

I did a search and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd post a thread instead. I do apologize if there is a thread already.

I purchased a pick up the other day, a 2004 F150 FX4 with a 5.5' box, and I'd like to use it to haul my V-Max when we take our long trips. (With the wife, the dog and all of our shit, riding it there is out of the question) But we'd like to have it for when we reach our destination. Since this is my first pick up, I'm a little unsure about the weight of the bike in the bed of the truck. I've hauled a bike in the back of a truck before, and we put it in diagonally, but I'm wondering about straight on. Any help would be great, fellas.

Thanks!

I have a 2012 Silverado with a 6' box, I just go straight in and strap her in. I've toted her quite a few times like that and did the same with my other bike as well. Grab the box extension to play it safe if ya want.

Back