fuel problems, pump went out! Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skooter

Reaction score
I was running bike (95 1200) working on getting carbs tuned, got agravated and covered it up. went back 2 days latter and noticed pump not priming for the few seconds when key is turned on. checked wireing and so on and found pump was dead. I tryed something little nuts but, I had a new Mr. Gasket electric universal fuel pump the puts out 4-7 lbs of pressure so I hooked it up and it pulls gas out of tank all the way to the carbs easy! OH MY EYES! now when I turn key on, the pump starts and shuts off in a few seconds like normal but I am getting nothing in the carbs! any of them. I can crank motor over and cap off top of carb with my hand and feel it sucking but it is dry as a bone. with a touch of carb cleaner in the carbs it starts right up till cleaner is gone then dies. can't figure out what is wrong. I know 4 lbs of pump pressure has to be enough. any ideas? Thanks in advance.
:bang head:

Pull off the airbox and disconnect the fuel hose from the carbs. Get a rag to catch fuel and turn the key on for a few seconds. If fuel is coming out there, then there is an issue with the carbs, such as the floats ( although it is hard to believe all the floats are having issues). If no fuel comes out of the hose then the issue is either with the fuel pump or your fuel filter is clogged up. At least this way you will know which side of the fuel pump you should be working on.

Back