fuel problems... where to start???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshmb84

Reaction score
got my 1988 vmax out of winter storage a few weeks ago and it fired rite up like she always dose I have only had time to take it out once and when I did the gas light came on and started to sputter so I hit the reserve and went to get gas and it was only low a gallon witch i thought was odd fired her back up and shut off reserve she started to sputter and die and noticed the gas light was still on so i turned the reserve back on and she runs fine so im thinking something is plunged up or stuck just wondering where i should start and what should i do first???????????

Yep, sounds like the thermistor in the tank let go. Not surprising given the age of the bike. There is no reserve valve or pickup, it just turns off the fuel pump when the fuel gets low to ensure it gets your attention if you happen to miss the low fuel light. When the switch is on RES it bypasses that circuit and restores power to the pump. One of Yamaha's goofy ideas.

You can ride around with it on RES all the time and it won't hurt anything, just watch the trip meter for fuel. If you want to fix it, it's a simple swap, the assembly bolts into the bottom of the fuel tank.

Somewhat hard to get to these buggers and the wiring goes bad inside and outside the tank.
All my restos get these sending units pulled, everything cleaned and I check the wiring. An ebay seller was nice enough to get me four new o-rings for my tanks. Good insurance especially for 20 + year old bikes!

So I'm looking in to getting a fuel sending unit there is a ton on eBay can someone tell me what yrs should fit my 1988???????

Latest posts

Back