fuel pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
When i turn my key on you can here the fuel pump prime itself,a Now i noticed that after the motor gets warm and up to temp,and i turn the bike off then back on the pump will prime itself every time even if i dont start it. checked for leaking lines on fuel and return found nothing also removed the pump and checked out the insides for a displaced washer,Looked ok to me , I did notice that the contact points are worn down, So i removed the fuel line at the carbs and pluged the line and the pump cycled normally , could this be a carb issue even though the bike runs great or do i have a fuel pump losing psi and starting to go bad? JIM:bang head:

Ok thanks, Im not going to fix it if it aint broke! but i have had the bike for 5 yrs and never heard the pump cycle like this. If it sat for a week then it would run like it is now. JIM

You know, my bike often does that too. Sometimes I just wonder if gas evaporates faster depending on weather conditions?

Or, it could be that one of your needle valves is not sealing properly and letting gas thru, which would empty at least one bowl quicker into the motor. Not sure if it would affect running at all since the fuel would burn quite quickly once the motor's started.

Only way to tell would be if your mpg went down. Over 5 years you must have a pretty good idea of how many miles you get out of a tank of gas? Compare with consumption now..

my pump gets all finicky like that when i'm synching carbs

Back