Fuel RES switch clarification?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchelljd02

Reaction score
Hello. I've searched the forum on this topic and I just want to make sure I understand.

First off, my Bike will only run with the switch to RES. I have a 1998 Max.

I put a new Koso Speedo and Tach on my bike and I think this may be the problem for inputs.

Follow me on this and tell me if I'm wrong:

Green and Red/Black dash Wire is the bulb for Low Fuel. The Red/Black Dash also goes to the coils to detect spark from the ignition.

My speedo has a fuel meter, but no indicator light for Fuel low I thought it did when I bought it, but I overlooked this. So i connected the Green wire to the "Fuel" input of the Koso speedo. The Red/Black Dash wire is capped off. So in essence, this is causing the Fuel Level sensor to be open all of the time because the Red/Black Dash is not joined to detect spark.

So the switch to RES bypasses the Fuel Level Sensor and runs the pump. With the Switch to ON, it thinks the Fuel Level Sensor is open and the pump doesn't run.

Normally the Fuel Level Sensor is open because of the fuel level is below the sensor, and this causes the Light to come on and let the rider know to switch to RES because the pump is off.

Is this accurate?

Also, I wanted to ask another question.

Any problem with riding is RES all of the time?

I know I will not know when I'm about to run out of fuel by looking for a light, but don't we all just look at how many miles we go?

Also, I wanted to ask another question.

Any problem with riding is RES all of the time?

I know I will not know when I'm about to run out of fuel by looking for a light, but don't we all just look at how many miles we go?

That's what I do every 90-100 I fuel up, When I first got the max I left it in RES all the time & never had a problem & actually I've never seen my fuel light come on in the 10 years I've had it.

I don't think it would hurt to ride in RES all the time. It just bypasses the low fuel pump cutoff I believe.

Ok. That's great info.

How hard would it be to sell it like this as long as I disclosed keeping the switch in RES?

Some people say that all junk from the bottom of the tank can go into fuel line while on the reserve. But there is fuel filter anyway. My Ninja 900, 1998 manual states that when reserve is ON - supplies gas to engine only when its running. So can take longer to start a bike when carb is dry.

These do not have a separate pickup like many bikes. This is a "virtual" reserve and only shuts off the pump when it's low enough on fuel. The "res" position on the switch housing simply turns the pump back on.

Back