fuse box woes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightfox85

Reaction score
so again i post with another eletical gremlen, if youve followed my posts you know that ive been having the issue of my ignition switch not acting right such as not killing the power to the bike in the off position and the easiest way around this was to pull the fuses when not in use. well recently the bike is acting all sorts of weird, randomly the gauges will go out and the fuel pump with stop pumping and randomly the bike it self will not start. now its obviously the ignition fuse and the accessory fuses are acting up and everything is fine after a little wiggling so the long story short what is a permanant solution to the ingnition switch issue and how should i correct the issue with the fuse box befor it gets worse???

I had a similar issue when after a very hot ride (literally over an hour in walking pace traffic in the heat of Daytona FL) my Max refused to go off and only pulling the main fuse would kill the electrics and stop it from being able to be started. In fact even without the main fuse it would still run, albeit like crap.

In the end, having tried and checked everything, the only permanent fix was to simply replace the whole wiring harness. I was lucky to have one lying around from my spare parts bike which happens to also be an '86. Even after unwrapping most of the old harness I could still not find the fault, altho it seemed pretty obvious two wires must have fused together somewhere in there..

Dunno if anyone has a spare working harness they could help you with - you're welcome to my old ones for spares (it has a good fuse box etc so you could try cutting yours off and soldering mine in) just don't try using my harness as it is - it'll only re-christen your bike as 'Christine'!

If you look at a wiring diagram for your bike, you will see that it is the ignition switch that is the common link to all the problems you describe. The fused main wire from the battery positive side goes to the ignition switch. The switch then controls the function of the fused circuits (with the fuel pump system being part of the ignition circuit) The positive feed for all the gauge lamps, as well as turn signal and brake lights, is taken off the ignition switch. But the biggest clue is that the switch will sometimes not shut down the bike when in the "off" position. I would disassemble the ignition switch and check for corroded contacts. Then use a multimeter to confirm proper functioning, before installing back in the bike.
Cheers, Miles

its not the ingnition switch because i have already cleaned and checked that before, so i think its gonna be the wireing harness

Back