Gas Cap Stuck

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_t

Reaction score
I can't get my gas cap off. After a bit of wiggling, the key does turn a quarter turn clockwise, but it won't come off. The whole cap does rotate slightly both clockwise and counter clockwise, but it won't open. I've tried a little WD-40 as well as lightly tapping with a rubber mallet. I've also tried pushing the cap down while turning the key. I've also tried multiple keys, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn

Mine sticks quite often too, you do have to keep pressure down on it with the key to the right as far as it will go and persistence is the key.:rofl_200:Once you get it off get that wd-40 inside those locking tabs.

I had one sticking I sprayed pb blaster into key hole and then when cap came off I sprayed wd 40 into all moving parts on the underside .. Also had a 2000 with a slightly bent key making it difficult to open and to start..

I know it's a pain, but you could remove the tank, and soak it in solvent, your movable tabs on the cap are probably gummed up. It takes time, but it's probably the cheapest. I once drained the tank, flushed it a couple of times, and filled it w/H2O, and cut-off the neck w/a sawzall to get to the cap. Then I just used some gas tubing like they use on boats to patch it back together. Paint the bare edge, and make sure to flush it again to remove any metal particles. It's extreme, but you don't have to buy a new cap or gas tank.

I had tried the solvent spray nozzle into the keyhole soaking it for days, and repeated bouts of spray, but it wouldn't free-up the movable cap tangs. Hence the sawzall.

Mine has been "pried- off" by the last owner. Seems he ran into the same problem and needed it off NOW, LOL.

I finally got the cap off. I was persistent, as suggested, and kept pressing down and fiddling with the key until it finally came off. The inside of the tank is all gummed up and rusty so I may have to replace. I sprayed all the internal components of the cap and the spring clips seem to work much better now. Thank you very much for all your help!

My suggestion to prevent a re-occurrence, is to soak it in solvent to dissolve the deposits from the fumes which caused the problem in the 1st place. Just 'freeing it up' isn't as-good as removing those gummy deposits permanently. A bath is what that needs.

As for the tank, try an electrolysis cleaning. There are multiple threads on here describing the procedure. You may discover you don't need to replace the tank. Cleaning the anode or replacing it as it accumulates deposits during the electrolytic process is what helps the procedure to work.

For example: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27422&highlight=electrolysis

attachment.php

That's a hard-working anode right there, that crap on the rod is what came out of a tank. Clean it off to bare metal and repeat as-necessary to end w/a clean tank. Youtube has some entertaining videos of the process.

I finally got the cap off. I was persistent, as suggested, and kept pressing down and fiddling with the key until it finally came off. The inside of the tank is all gummed up and rusty so I may have to replace. I sprayed all the internal components of the cap and the spring clips seem to work much better now. Thank you very much for all your help!

I have a 2013 Yamaha vstar 950. On the gas cap the arrow should be pointing forward. I accidently pushed hard with the arrow pointing backwards. The gas cap is now wedged and I can't get it off. What should I do?

Assuming your tabs retract, at that point, the jamming of the cap is the only thing keeping the cap on. You should be able to pry it off. I assume you have a traditional gas cap and tank, not like the VMax's under the seat tank. You might be able to remove the tank, and remove the petcock, and use a long rod or punch to hammer-off the gas cap. Of course, you would need to ensure that the tabs are retracted before you start hammering.

Also, if you can see that the underside of the cap has phillips screws, a long screwdriver could allow their removal, and the cap should fall-apart, A few taps with a long punch or rod should remove it.

I put mine on backwards one night. The key wouldnt get the cap off. I pushed the cap down, and rotated the arrow forward. When it was forward again, the key worked as it should after that.

I put mine on backwards one night. The key wouldnt get the cap off. I pushed the cap down, and rotated the arrow forward. When it was forward again, the key worked as it should after that.

That would be fortunate! If he had provided a pic of the cap and neck, we might have a better idea of how it fastens, and what he has to work-with.

Back