Gas leaking....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOM88

Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't been able to ride my bike to much the last week or so, today I got out of work and went in my garage noticed a slight gas smell and a very small dip under my bike. I didn't think much of it so i pulled the bike out and started it. Gas starting leaking from what seemed behind the scoop, so i pulled it off. I have four individual air filters and two hoses run up from the overflow to the top of the front air filter and gas was pouring out of it. I tilted the bike straight up and it seemed to go away so I took it around the neighborhood. the bike had no balls untill about 4000 rpms where normal power kicked in suddenly. I would slow down and try again... same thing. I brought it home at this point it smelled like gas and I am worried, I pulled the two left air filters off, front carb looked fine, rear was filled with gas. I pushed the diaphragm cylinder with my finger and gas poured in the carb. Is this a float bowl issue? if so should i remove that carb and give it a cleaning? Did i do any damage introducing that much gas into my cylinder?

I appreciate the help

-Ben :ummm:

It sounds like a carb float is stuck. Trace the overflow hose that has gas coming out of it back to the carb and try tapping/hitting on the float bowl with the handle of a screwdriver. This generally frees up the float.

he got it fixed. i think it took a couple tries and also draining the carb first or something.

another question would be how did gas leak out of the carbs if the bike had been off for a week?

If the bowl was full almost to overflowing and there was a change in atmospheric pressure:confused2:

but a week later? i know if i leave my bike for a week theres not much gas left in the float bowls.

Usually evaporation takes place and bowl levels drop......very strange......

100% agree.

I should also mention that BOM88 is my 'little' brother so thats why i know whats going on here. hah.

Back