gasket removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Morning!

I am replacing the left crankcase cover gasket and the old one is pretty crusted on. Just wondering if y'all have any tips for removing it completely. Scrape it off with a sharp knife?

Dowco rubber finger wheel. Impressive. Good luck finding one, though. I just got a razor blade scraper and used that to get mine off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I use an old piece of 2" wide plastic and keep one edge sharp. I'm always worried that if I use a steel blade on aluminum I will make a deep gouge.

I use an old sharpish chisel with a good flat edge..
Make sure you maintain a shallow angle to the face which will minimise the possibility of it digging in.

Spray on gasket remover. Then, just wipe off with rag.

I use an old piece of 2" wide plastic and keep one edge sharp. I'm always worried that if I use a steel blade on aluminum I will make a deep gouge.

Yes..recommend plastic razor blade along with gasket remover . Gasket Remover will remove paint so use carefully

Yukonerdave, now that you've used the above tips to remove the gasket, here's what you do with the new gasket..... apply some petrolum jelly (Vaseline) lightly to both side before installing. It will come right off without sticking to either the case or cover for a couple times if/when removed.

3M Roloc bristle disc...white, works great!

MMM7528.jpg

Back